Tank Shot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zig

z is z
Reaction score
This is a shot of the current layout i have in my 40 gallon tank, about 2 minutes after i took this shot i managed to break one of the PCs in the hood, anyway i wont bore you with the details other than say i was very annoyed, so it was the end of the photo session as i didnt have a replacement tube (and the camera was borrowed for the afternoon)

I said last week i would post some photos so here "it" is, next time you see this tank it will probably be very different, im happy enough with the foreground but im going to swop out some of the background plants and change them, its really a work in progress not with any particular plan ATM, i have quite a few plants growing in this (they are small ATM not really noticeable in the shot tucked in around the midground) and another tank which i have never had before, they include Limnophila aromatica, P.Stellatus narrow leaf, ludwigia arcuata, couple of different type ferns and some Java moss (thanks Andy) and i hope to get some cuttings of Rotola sp. nanjenshan off Andy as well, i also have E. Tennellus and E. Articularis as foreground alternatives to Glosso, a lot of these plants have been very hard to get around these parts until recently so you could say im just taking advantage of this, so atm its just good fun playing with all of these plants and seeing what will work and grows well for me.

Im happy to report my tank is totally algae free and i now have pressurised co2, heres the shot........

Edit ok shot didnt show up.......got it

Dec2005.jpg

looking great ZIG ! what did you use as a carpet plant ? is that glosso ?? it carpeted really nicely IMO :D and those are toninas ? am i correct ? they are looking healthy :D

im also looking for nenjansen species right now for my tank upgrade sometime next year :D hehehe

Looks nice Zig, very healthy!

What are the dimensions of that tank?

That's beautiful, mate.....love the carpet. I changed my Hermianthus carpet for hairgrass yesterday but think i should have gone with E. Tennellus and E. Articularis now. I didn't realise they grow like that!
E. Stellata looks great too.
I have a spare PC lamp if you're stuck for one?

Wonderful mate, very nice indeed. Great to see the wait has not been disappointing.

It will look fantastic once your background stems fill in properly. What's the red stem in the centre, I think between the two L. aromatica? Is that planted directly central?

The foreground and moss covered wood looks amazing mate, the best foreground I've seen ever on TFF (including my own). The hairgrass accents the glosso wonderfully, it's very well done indeed.

As I say, once you've grown in your mid and background it will be contest worthy no doubt, certainly give mine a run for its money.

Sorry about your lighting, pity you didn't get more shots. Bet you can't wait for that SLR!

Kudos.

Thanks guys

Its very much a mix going on in this tank, i know some of the background plants just do not suit this type of layout, some of the plants in this tank have been there longer than others so when i added plants that i really wanted i just tended to leave the others there to fill in space, the foreground works quite well its Glosso with E.Tennellus and Eleocharis acicularis interspersed throughout, these grow slower than the glosso so you can get a pretty cool wild sort of effect without them overtaking the glosso.

The red plant in the background is Ludwigia repens "Rubin" a very nice plant but not for this setup, so its on the way out, the L. aromatica is below it just a little to the right (still small it was grown emersed its just beginning to take off) another plant i would like for this setup is rotola sp. "Green" but i have not come across it yet, it would probably need lots of trimming anyway as its a fast grower but a great looking plant.

I dont think it will win any prizes but if i can marry the background with the foreground a bit better i will be happy enough.

Kenneth the background plant is Pogostemon stellata Broadleaf

pseud the tank is only 30x18x18 inches (i want a bigger one)

Andy i think your lighting is 36 watt mine is 55 watt so it wouldnt work thanks for the offer anyway, im hoping to get a replacement in Dublin but no luck yet (tbh i havent had much time phoneing around this morning)

Thanks again for the comments guys i will update it again when i have made more progress.

WOW, that really does look spectacular mate. knocks the socks off mine. (hangs head in shame!)

have you got pressurised co2 on there yet? i cant remember.

I'm insanely jealous

WOW, that really does look spectacular mate. knocks the socks off mine. (hangs head in shame!)

have you got pressurised co2 on there yet? i cant remember.

I'm insanely jealous

Thanks jimbooo.........yeah just got pressurised co2 going on saturday so thats great, just got it all going correctly and then i broke the light yesterday so i lowered the bubble rate down for the moment, just buy your self a regulator and get an industrial type cylinder and you set to go for a year at least with a decent size cylinder.

The tank just evolved jimbooo (its still evolving) just dont be afraid to rip plants out thats all i would suggest and experiment.

Thanks for the comments mate

no problem. i am still astonished at the sheer quality of your plants they have grown that way without pressurised as it's only been on for a few days.

on the co2 front santa has my list!! JBL Pro Flori 2, jbl pro flori 2 or if not a jbl pro flouri 1. i thought i'd give him a choice this year!!

fingers crossed

WoW Zig - that's a stunning tank. It's just absolutely gorgeous :drool:

Zig, making a few quick calls to some of our suppliers here to see if any of them stock 55w PC's ...if you're ringing retailers, they usually know them as PL/L BIAX Lamps.....Philips make one...the Master Pl/L. Link to the data sheet here.... http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_en/arch...lamps〈=en

20mins later...

Zig, the only 55W PC's available over the counter are color temp 4000K (known in the trade as color 840) . If that's any use to you, let me know? Most retailers will only stock color 840's because that's all that sells. Philips stock 6500K in boxes of 20 only!

I was going to ask how the CO2 is going, but obviously it's going well. Looking forward to joining the pressurised crew soon!

Wow!!! that's a beautiful tank m8, like George has already said the foreground is stunning.
Cant wait for more shots.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back