Tank Scaping So Far.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hudsona85

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Got my 75gal up and running! Slowly getting some plants in there. I have the driftwood held down by some rocks. Thinking I may add more driftwood and plants to hopefully get the Amazon look as close as possible. May have to change out the light system as well. I have 2 Rainbow cichlids and I think they are male and female. I also have 1 Firemouth, 1 Severum, 11 Torpedo barbs, 1 zebra synodontis, and 1 upside down catfish. I plan to get more upside down catfish but somewhat weary if the zebra will eat them as a snack? If so, I can move him/her to another tank.
20151124_175437131_iOS.jpg20151124_175540117_iOS.jpg20151124_181035034_iOS.jpg

Looks nice! I have three torpedo barbs. They are very active and fun fish to watch.

Have you considered painting the outside of the back panel of your tank? Dark colours really make the fish stand out and also helps to disguise some of the filter outlets etc. I used matte black chalkboard paint on my tanks and the result was great! Really easy to do as well.

Yeah I agree.I have black on all my tanks.just with black poster background though.

gmc1 said:
Yeah I agree.I have black on all my tanks.just with black poster background though.

Same here, I just bought black construction paper and double sided tape and stuck it right on lol...you can see the tape, but once the plants fill in it all disappears anyway.

Shame about the "blueberry" tetra :(

I agree about the black background as well - you are going to want to add some height to the scape to break up the line of sight of the cichlids as they grow larger. Visual barriers in a tank can help them agree on territiories and cut down on chasing.

Wills

luca1980 said:
Have you considered painting the outside of the back panel of your tank? Dark colours really make the fish stand out and also helps to disguise some of the filter outlets etc. I used matte black chalkboard paint on my tanks and the result was great! Really easy to do as well.
 I have not considered this. Pretty cool idea!

Wills said:
Shame about the "blueberry" tetra
sad.png

I agree about the black background as well - you are going to want to add some height to the scape to break up the line of sight of the cichlids as they grow larger. Visual barriers in a tank can help them agree on territiories and cut down on chasing.

Wills
"Blueberry" Tetra? Not sure I follow?

I am slowly adding some height with some plants, rock, and driftwood. I am however, having some issues with the tank. Seems I have some kind of algae bloom and turning the tank green and making it hard to see through. I have cut down on the lighting times to 0-4 hours a day with no such luck. Tested the water with no detectable Nitrates, Nitrites, or Ammonia. pH is 6.6-6.8. After water change at 40% it gets clear but it seems to turn green again after 24 hours.

I am going to disagree re the black background.

I have this on my tank, and with hindsight, should have gone for something lighter.
For one, it gives the tank a gloomy look.
And secondly, I have found that a lot of my fish (SA cichlids) will turn darker in an attempt to blend in.

The tetra in the first and third pic looks like it is a dyed black widdow tetra. When they have the blue markings like that they are refered to as Blueberry Tetras. The blue markings are not natural and the fish will have gone through one of the dying processes which is usually either a process of them being put through various chemicals and bleaches etc or someone sits there and injects the dye into them.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back