Tank rescape

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Just done my first water check after rescape Thursday, just for recap I keep filter media running in temp housing tank and placed all rocks and plants in old water until I was ready to use. Water was 70% new with 30% of old tank put back in.

Im having an ammonia spike like some suggested, currently in between 0.25 and 0.50ppm. Nitrite has stayed at 0 and Nitrate still good between 10 and 20ppm. So my question is do I do a partial water change or do I give it a couple days to settle down? Just concerned I have both Shrimp and Corydora Habrosus that are sensitive to changes in water params...

Do a water change. It won't affect the cycle. It should not take more than a week or 2 for the tank to catch up but there is no point in exposing the fish and shrimp to ammonia unnecessarily.

I agree. Preform a water change. (30% - 40%)

So ive done a 30% change. Now what? Please dont tell me its 30% everyday for next week, my wife will end up leaving lol. Shall I just give it a couple of days and test again? So far all fish look ok, couple of the corys have gone pale, but are still eating and moving around, so i guess abit of movinf stress. Snail and shrimp are quiet, both readjusting I guess. Guppies are Guppies nuff said lol

Do a couple more 30% water changes. (For at least two more days)

Keep a close eye on that Ammonia, as a big spike may kill your fish. (I suggest testing every day)

Not necessarily every day. Test every day and do a water change if there is ammonia and/or nitrite above zero. This may or may not be every day.

The messing around begins lol....

Hacked up piece of the old bog wood (obviously I couldn't just bin it) a made a little bridge across the gully....

Its also brilliant for the shrimp. I choose a piece that has lots of holes and channels in it, as the berried shrimp like this for protection when carry eggs. And see as there only have the "Java Fern Hotel" after rescape, I felt bit bad...Im sure them well climb the tree, but its a bit naked at mo...

Attachments

• 20200704_193653.jpg
    20200704_193653.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 20200704_193656.jpg
    20200704_193656.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200704_193701.jpg
    20200704_193701.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Most reactions