Tank Repair Help - Urgent!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jaywings19

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I need some help/assistance in a pretty urgent manner.

I have a 72G bowfront being used for a planted, freshwater setup. This tank is approximately 3 years old.

I just noticed a large crack in the (cheap) plastic ledge that runs across the middle to support the glass lid covers. Those of you that are familiar with larger tanks probably understand what I mean.

The good thing is that my light fixture is on stilts to prop from the sides, so it is not putting additional pressure on the cheap plastic divider. However, I believe the heavy glass lids have finally taken their toll and caused the plastic to crack. :angry: I find it somewhat ironic since the glass lids were made by the same manufacturer (All Glass) specifically for this tank.

My questions are:

1. Should I just remove the glass lids and "go topless" since my light fixture is propped up?

2. Even if I "go topless"... does the cheap plastic divider cause a big stability issue with the tank? I obviously don't want to end up with 72G of water in my living room! :crazy:

Please help! :sad:

I would have thought that the immediate task would be to replace the centre support somehow; leaving the cover-glasses is a sensible idea to relieve the weight issue, but I would contact the supplier immediately and get a replacement strip fitted.

I have a 72 bow, same problem. The previous owner thought it would be ok to move it with the substrate, a few inches of water, and fish. Bad idea.

A new top frame is around $40, but is a pain to replace. You need to cut around the silicone inside & outside the perimeter with a thin razor knife, then pry the frame off. That crossmember keeps the front & back from bowing, it is not there just to support the glass tops.

I had the shop mechanic weld up an adjustable support brace for my 72, it fits over the top of the center brace, and was cheaper & easier than replacing the entire frame. I have some pics, print them out, and head to a welding shop if you want to do it cheap & easy.

dsc01486amj3.jpg

dsc01485aiw1.jpg

I have a 72 bow, same problem. The previous owner thought it would be ok to move it with the substrate, a few inches of water, and fish. Bad idea.

A new top frame is around $40, but is a pain to replace. You need to cut around the silicone inside & outside the perimeter with a thin razor knife, then pry the frame off. That crossmember keeps the front & back from bowing, it is not there just to support the glass tops.

I had the shop mechanic weld up an adjustable support brace for my 72, it fits over the top of the center brace, and was cheaper & easier than replacing the entire frame. I have some pics, print them out, and head to a welding shop if you want to do it cheap & easy.

OMG! That's is so perfectly what I needed to see/hear! :good:

I can't believe the All Glass Company uses such crappy plastic for an important support piece like that. I bought this tank almost 4 years ago and it didn't occur to even think about that piece. It's dangerous to assume the manufacturer wouldn't make something that couldn't support the water volume/pressure and the glass lids at the same time.

Your custom brace is a great solution. Are you concerned about that solution long term?

In the meantime, I've drained half the tank into a giant bucket and put my fish in there. I'll look to get the fix done this weekend and have the fish back in their home.

I'm wondering if it isn't some sort of manufacturing defect, as yours is the second 72 gallon, besides mine, to have the same problem. I have had various All-Glass tanks running that have that center brace, and none have had that problem. Then again, none have been moved with substrate, water, and fish.

I figure it's a long term fix, as the metal is stronger than the original plastic. That plastic is quite strong for the application it's used for, as it has great tensile strength. Think of nylon rope, which is basically plastic, but has great tensile strength. That tank is in my basement family room, I'm not worried about the top brace as much as I'm concerned that one day a seam might go out, due to the way it was moved. I got the tank, stand, light, & top for free, so I'm not real worried if it creates a nice stream one day across the concrete floor to the floor drain.

You can see the crack in my brace in the first pic. It's on either side of the front metal clamp. This tank was originally owned by the director of sales where I work, who also happens th be the shop owner's son. He didn't listen to me when he moved it to the shop, then showed me the crack a week after he moved it. I told him 72 gallons on the office floor is something that would really upset his dad, and I would be implicated in the disaster only because I have so many tanks running at home. We have a mechanic that comes in to do welding & fabricating on the presses, he came up with that idea, which has a couple of nuts on the rod, and can tighten down & actually pull the front & back glass together.

The only other modification was having to notch the light to allow for clearance for the rod.

dsc01487afj3.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back