Tank raising pond snails?

Aspen35

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
After recently moving into a house with a pond (natural) I discovered there were Ramshorn snails. Fish have never lived in the pond before, but I am very concerned about the diseases the snails might carry. What is the best way to go about quarantining them, and or knowing when they are completely safe for fish tanks?

I’m raising and selling Ramshorn already, but I was curious about setting up another tank for the pond ones and let them do their own thing.

I might put in fish, but I think there would be a lot of clean up work involved because it hasn’t been touched in 20 years. Yes, it is fairly large.

I might put in fish, but I think there would be a lot of clean up work involved because it hasn’t been touched in 20 years. Yes, it is fairly large.
I think it would be cool to put fish in, depending on if the work is worth it to you. I'd love to see a picture if you have one!

36241808-D702-46C7-8AE2-65BDDA70DEB3.jpeg

The middle is 4-6 feet deep, so I think goldfish or similar would be okay when it freezes over. (With oxygen still)

Wow, that's some pond. I certainly wouldn't be worrying about some snails carrying a disease; I'd be planning on what fish to put in it.

I reckon 20 years is enough to satisfy most people as a cycling period. Koi and goldfish seems to be the obvious answer, but maybe North American native species would be good.

With a woods-cool, I live near a woods on a bluff overlooking a river. You could raise perch, nice looking fish that taste good. Need an aerator in winter.

Thanks! I really do love goldfish, so I’ll have to look into adding some. As long as the snails have been in there without fish for that long, they won't have disease of any kind? I'm not concerned for the fish when they're added, just for the snails themselves. Will breeding them and maybe putting back the adults be a safe way to do it?

Wow! Its definitely bigger than I expected!

With the trees, there will be a lot of leaves on the bottom, I know in the river that is near me and the stream that runs into it we have several different types of snails including faucet snails from Europe other invasive snails. I do not think you need to worry about snails.

Wow, nice pond. If it was mine I'd put in a few hundred koi fry and let them grown ups,! They would love it in there.

Most reactions

trending

Back