TANK OF DEATH......

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I hear the term nitrate factories in the reefing forums. As one experience reefer said, this is a misnomer as that is what you want with a biological filter, complete the nitrogen cycle which converts organic material to nitrates. If you don't want a nitrate factory, use a protein skimmer which removes the organic material before it breaks down into ammonia.

Without proper cleaning, wouldn't all gravel beds would become a nitrate factory?
I meant a nitrate PRODUCING factory, that is out of control, and contaminating the water column

Thanks so much, a mad DIY'er! I watched a couple of his video. He is great, very creative. I like his polishing filter, I may make one of those using PVC pipe.

Below is my fish room, the dead space in the corner would be a perfect place for some type of gravel bed filter.

View attachment 129713
I love the wood you found for these tanks so much, looks so dramatic! And would have cost hundreds to buy enough store bought driftwood to get that look!

I love the wood you found for these tanks so much, looks so dramatic! And would have cost hundreds to buy enough store bought driftwood to get that look!
Thanks so much, I am quite thrilled with my find. Just to be safe, I been doing 25% water changes every other day.

I true wish there was more cost effective ways to do hardscape. I priced a nice looking rock at my LFS, $21 for a single rock.

Thanks so much, I am quite thrilled with my find. Just to be safe, I been doing 25% water changes every other day.

I true wish there was more cost effective ways to do hardscape. I priced a nice looking rock at my LFS, $21 for a single rock.
The cost is the only thing holding me back from turning into a full on, aquascaping nutter. Otherwise I'd be playing with hardscape and plants all the time, setting up loads of tanks! I wanna learn how and where people collect the stuff that gets sold in shops. Cut out the middle men, you know? Hope yours turns out to be safe, it looks awesome, it really does. Gotta admit to being a bit jealous! lol

Having read back I did like the UGF’s and must admit that when we got this tank for £20 all in we looked but could not find any large enough due to them being phased out I guess. Like anything if you do not run it properly it will fail in one way or another. So we keep the filters unclogged but not renewed all of the time so the good bacteria still survive and plants are thriving and we clean tank every Sunday and by doing that (hoovering up waste or plant debri) that is the water change so minimal. If you run a tank high level then you need to make changes regularly to combat ammonia nitrate and nitrite levels. We run low level and it works for us and the fish are non stressed as no hands or equipment in tank except on a Sunday. It is great to see the differing personalities of fish coming out as they go about daily life......THE TRUMAN show for real ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back