Tank Mates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

liwrldx

Reaction score
Hello, I am thinking about buying a 55 gallon community tank with one male betta and some other fish species. My question is would it be okay for me to put 3 females in with the male because of how much space there is in the tank. I will put enough plants and structures so there are plenty spaces to hide. Another thing to ask would be, would 3 female betta fish become a sorority? Im new to bigger tanks and community tanks but want to make one with a few bettas but would like to avoid conflict between them if possible.

In short, maybe. One thing I've learned while keeping Betta, is to never put a male and female unless enough space. They may breed, which is something you should keep in mind. However, if the 55 is HUGE, I think the chance of them breeding may not happen. What other fish breeds are you keeping in there?

I’ve never succeeded in keeping my bettas with other fish. You can try, but I suggest you have another tank ready for the betta(s) in case it doesn’t work out.

If you keep male and female bettas in their own tank, the chances are they will find each other and breed no matter how big the tank is (and after the female lays eggs, the male will chase the female away so another tank is needed). I don’t think they’ll breed in the community tank though when they are harassed by, or busy harassing, other fish.

In short, maybe. One thing I've learned while keeping Betta, is to never put a male and female unless enough space. They may breed, which is something you should keep in mind. However, if the 55 is HUGE, I think the chance of them breeding may not happen. What other fish breeds are you keeping in there
In short, maybe. One thing I've learned while keeping Betta, is to never put a male and female unless enough space. They may breed, which is something you should keep in mind. However, if the 55 is HUGE, I think the chance of them breeding may not happen. What other fish breeds are you keeping in there?
I plan on putting som ember tetras and neon tetras aswell as a Bristlenose pleco, some Malaysian trumpet snails and shrimp and khuli loaches, some catfish and harlequin rasboras.

I’ve never succeeded in keeping my bettas with other fish. You can try, but I suggest you have another tank ready for the betta(s) in case it doesn’t work out.

If you keep male and female bettas in their own tank, the chances are they will find each other and breed no matter how big the tank is (and after the female lays eggs, the male will chase the female away so another tank is needed). I don’t think they’ll breed in the community tank though when they are harassed by, or busy harassing, other fish.
thank you for the information, I will buy a 10 gallon tank as well to separate them if needed.

When I was a member of a fish club we had people talk about breeding betas all the time and I was surprised when they told us that it was usually the females who would kill the males if they were left too long during breeding. So putting three females and one male in a 55 gallon may not be an issue, but it may be an issue if you got a nasty female. Like someone suggested you may want to have a tank set up just in case you have to move one. Hopefully you catch it in time and you don't wind up with a dead beta. That being said I have had male bettas in community tanks before. I even had a male king beta and a regular female betta in a 75 gallon with no issues, but they never bred because I believe the male king betta's are different species although no one was able to identify what type of species they were other than they were called Kings.

Most reactions

trending

Back