rhyssutherland2002

Reaction score
Looking at getting more fish for my community tank.
I currently have a lot of tetra such as black neon, gold, redline, white fin, green neon. ect all community.
I was looking at getting
Cochu blue and silvertips. Good idea ? Or will fin nipping be an issue.
I also was wanting dwarf pencilfish but think they may be too peaceful for the silvertips and Cochu.
Please help
Thanks

It would be helpful to know your tank size.

I would also recommend asking the mods to modify your username so that way random people don't see your gmail address. ☺

240 litres

(Thanks about the email)
Thats around 65 gallons rounding up... Is your tank a long one or tall? What are the dimensions and if you could, please provide apx numbers of each fish. This will help us provide better stocking advice.

(No problem ;))

Thats around 65 gallons rounding up... Is your tank a long one or tall? What are the dimensions and if you could, please provide apx numbers of each fish. This will help us provide better stocking advice.

(No problem ;))
Yes it's a long 4 ft with about 40 tetra already, around 6 of each. it's had this stocking for a while. I'm just wanting to add

First thing...how many of each species mentioned do you have? These are all characins (as are pencilfishes) and thus shoaling fish. The more of the species the better for the fish. I would want to assess present numbers before suggesting this or that new species.

Water parameters (meaning, GH and pH here) would also be worth knowing...some species are much less "adaptable" than others.

First thing...how many of each species mentioned do you have? These are all characins (as are pencilfishes) and thus shoaling fish. The more of the species the better for the fish. I would want to assess present numbers before suggesting this or that new species.

Water parameters (meaning, GH and pH here) would also be worth knowing...some species are much less "adaptable" than others.
There's about 6 of each species.
I couldn't quite tell you my water perameters at this moment. But stable it's a healthy established aquarium

There's about 6 of each species.
I couldn't quite tell you my water perameters at this moment. But stable it's a healthy established aquarium

On the water parameters, I asked because the fish mentioned are soft and very soft water. This is determined by the GH; the pH will tend to follow suit, unless something is being done to mess with it (water authorities in soft water areas often add chemicals/minerals to increase the pH to prevent corrosion of pipes, etc.). Some fish have a wider tolerance for parameters outside their preference. I would not want to be suggesting "x" tetra if it turned out it is going to have serious issues in your water.

On the numbers, my first suggestion (subject to the water parameter issue) is to increase the existing species groups. Ten is as minimal you want, but more is even better. There is scientific evidence that the fish do have a healthier and less difficult life with 10 or more, compared to less than ten. And on the species, can you provide the scientific name for some, as I don't recognize the common name given: gold, redline, and white fin. Green neon I assume is Paracheirodon simulans, and black neon is presumably Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi. Silvertips are Hasemania nana, and Cochu Blue I assume is Boehlkea fredcochui.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back