Tank mates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Dianam2598

Reaction score
Hello, I currently have a 5 gallon fish tank with live sand and Iā€™ve recently been given a 20 gallon fish tank with the artificially colored gravel. Iā€™ve been very excited for this upgrade and canā€™t wait to decorate and add more fish. I currently have one female betta, and kuhli loach and a pleco. Iā€™ve been doing a ton of research and each source has so many different answers. I have 2 questions. Should I keep the gravel in the 20 gallon tank because I know the loach prefers sand or would he be fine? I read that the gravel helps with water circulation and live plants to thrive. Second question. What are some other species that are compatible with a female betta fish? Iā€™m unsure if I should add more females to start a sorority or not. Let me know some of your tips! Thanks!

I'd ditch the coloured gravel and put sand for the kuhli loach. They love sifting through the sand. I had gravel in my tank with 6 kuhli loaches and they just sat under a piece of driftwood all the time, as soon as i switched to sand they instantly looked happier and are out all the time sifting through the sand.

As far as tank makes for the betta I'm not too sure as i've never had one but definitely nothing that will nip her fins like tetras, barbs etc.

Hello, I currently have a 5 gallon fish tank with live sand and Iā€™ve recently been given a 20 gallon fish tank with the artificially colored gravel. Iā€™ve been very excited for this upgrade and canā€™t wait to decorate and add more fish. I currently have one female betta, and kuhli loach and a pleco. Iā€™ve been doing a ton of research and each source has so many different answers. I have 2 questions. Should I keep the gravel in the 20 gallon tank because I know the loach prefers sand or would he be fine? I read that the gravel helps with water circulation and live plants to thrive. Second question. What are some other species that are compatible with a female betta fish? Iā€™m unsure if I should add more females to start a sorority or not. Let me know some of your tips! Thanks!
What type of pleco is it? If i's a common pleco you should remove it as they get to 2 feet. Also is i just the one khuli? If so you'd need to get at least 3 more of them. As for the substrate I'd do the sand. It won't damage the khuli's barbels and they like snuffling around in it too.

What type of pleco is it? If i's a common pleco you should remove it as they get to 2 feet. Also is i just the one khuli? If so you'd need to get at least 3 more of them. As for the substrate I'd do the sand. It won't damage the khuli's barbels and they like snuffling around in it too.
Itā€™s a clown pleco. And yes I only have one loach. I plan on getting more. My 5 gallon seemed too small and I didnā€™t want to overdo it. And for the substrate, would black fine gravel work? I would like to add in some neon artificial gravel because there is a blue light and I think it would look pretty cool in the tank.

I would get sand with kuhli loaches.

And I would leave the betta in the 5 gallon. I know it's a female but I'd leave her there, then get some small mid to upper fish for the 20 gallon as well as more kuhlis.

I would get sand with kuhli loaches.

And I would leave the betta in the 5 gallon. I know it's a female but I'd leave her there, then get some small mid to upper fish for the 20 gallon as well as more kuhlis.
You could do neon/cardinal tetras as a mid fish and then maybe a powder blue or a flame gourami as your top swimmer. As @essjay has said sand is a much better choice than gravel for khuli's as they will be happier. If you want to go with neon or cardinal tetras in your tank you might be able to get away with 8.

then maybe a powder blue or a flame gourami
Though not with a betta, male or female, in the same tank, but OK if you leave the betta in the 5 gallon. However, dwarf gouramis do have health issues and many owners find they die within a couple of months of purchase. Honey gouramis are a better choice.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back