Tank Mates:

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Deezy7

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just listing the cichlids i have at the moment in my tank whom seem to be all getting along and theres no signs of over aggression.
1. Oscar
2 Green terrors
2 blue neon acaras
1. Jack dempsey
1. Black belt
1. Red terror.

What's going to happen when they reach maturity?

What size tank?

Lots of very aggressive fish in there and the honest answer is it’s likely very unpredictable in a bad way. Hoping you reply with at least 180 gallons the footprint is important as you have 3 fish that can get over a foot long in there too...

I agree completely with Wills. These guys will start to compete and territories will shrink. 180 gallons is really pushing it IMO. Red Terrors can be vicious with those teeth.

Thanks for the reply guys. Currently everyone is a juvenile in a 3ft tank. However, i have a 6ft tank set up when they start getting aggressive.
Ok. Thats pretty solid. Honestly with that much space, as long as they all get food, and there are huge breaks in line of sight, you may be ok. @Wills should be able to provide a robust second opinion.

Thanks for the reply guys. Currently everyone is a juvenile in a 3ft tank. However, i have a 6ft tank set up when they start getting aggressive.

What are the dimensions of the 6 foot tank and the total capacity? Still a lot of issues with this choice of fish that means I think it is unlikely it will succeed long term. Which fish would you like to keep most and which would you be happiest to move on?

Also what is your water like? You have some fish that are suited to soft/neutral and others that are better for neutral/hard. This might help guide which way you should go with this.

Wills

Dimensions are 6ftx2ftx2ft

I think that's why i'm asking about the tank mates cause I'm quite uncertain of what cichlids i want in the long run. Whats your thoughts.

Currently neutral/hard.

Cool so 180 gallons then :)

There are a couple of safer options - though as with all cichlids nothing is set in stone, it may be worth having the 3 foot set up as a reserve tank if possible? Maybe keep a sponge filter in the big tank incase you need to move someone around. For me I would try this given your water.

1. Jack dempsey
1. Black belt
1. Red terror - which type of Red Terror is this Midas or Festae?

The JD may be out competed in a couple of respects but could potentially hold its own. Tank mates are a bit tricky, I'd like to suggest some Central American tetras like Astynax and Roiboides as some of them get to a really good size but I think they will be hard to track down in Australia as I know you have import restrictions. Some of the big barbs could work like Spanner Barbs of Filiament Barbs, Giant Danios might do well too but might not be big enough. Im tempted to say keep the bottom of the tank clear but there are some nice fish that could work like big Syno catfish that are used to living with African Cichlids. Synodontis Decorus is really nice. Probably a couple of pleco species that would work here but would depend on how much you want to pay.

I've just shown these two channels in an other thread but worth having a look through because they are hugely knowledgable on central american cichlids. It would be worth looking at what they are keeping together and tracking how the tanks evolved and what was grown on for bigger tanks/ponds vs living life in a 180.

Lee Nutall - https://www.youtube.com/user/lee1973n
Jim Cummings - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXKTV3u2o44r5oGWQBdFe0Q

Big cichlids are always a risk, they are very territorial fish that in the wild would be part of a much greater hierachy or have acres to swim through so you have to be careful when combining them in a tank. But there are a lot of examples of successful cichlid tanks out there that we can use as examples of what can be achieved and how.

Wills

green terror, red terror, and jack dempsy are much more aggressive than the other fish.

It might work in a large tank.....might.

Thanks for the links;
My dad and I always loved the monster fish so honestly; i'm leaning towards more of keeping the bigger monsters.
I'll watch the vids and hopefully learn how to keep em all together.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back