Tank Mates

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gavin3171

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have just started a malawi tank from a cycled well established tropical tank. Clearing out all the tropicals and replacing them with two yellow labs.

The tank at the moment is a 65L but will be 3-4x's the size when we move house at the end of next year.

So what are good choices to have with the yellow labs? Both labs are only about 1inch at the moment and im looking for brightly colored fish too.

That's a pretty small tank for Mbuna. I know you plan on upgrading but I would probably use that tank for something else and set up a new 55gal / 200l tank or bigger when you move. If not, then maybe a couple more labs and add other species when you expand. Just my opinion.

Thanks,
Steve

Mine have more than doubled in size over the past few months. That means you could have fish around 3"-4" in a years time. Labs would get to somewhere between 4"-5" matured size so you see why you need more space. They are pretty peaceful but they are Mbuna so that means they are more aggressive than most tropical fish. They should be kept in bigger numbers to spread out the aggression and given plenty of hiding places to get away from each other. You could be fine with only the 2 you have but I've not kept only 2 to know what will happen. They will not have much to do except interact with each other and if they are both males, possibly fight a lot. Really not sure.

Thanks,
Steve

thanks for your advice. I dont have the space to get a bigger tank yet. But the latest i will be moved house by is the end of next year. The two i have now, get on fine with eachother too

Just put some rock formations in for them hide in and hopefully they will be ok until you can expand. Good luck.

Thanks,
Steve

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back