Tank mates suggestions?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Zephyrski

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'll be upgrading my Betta into a 10 gallon soon enough, and I'm curious as to what I can do for tank mates.
My boy is very curious and will probably nip at anything he can. So perhaps mystery snails or something like that, wouldn't be the best thing.

Hi everyone. I'll be upgrading my Betta into a 10 gallon soon enough, and I'm curious as to what I can do for tank mates.
My boy is very curious and will probably nip at anything he can. So perhaps mystery snails or something like that, wouldn't be the best thing.
Nerite snails would be really cool! Their shells cover up most of their bodies. They kinda just look lile moving shells. So, the betta cant really nip at anything on it.

You could do shrimp, buuuut, you said he is a bit nippy so I wouldn't....

And no to any fish because if he is how you said he is, he will damage or kill them

Nerite snails would be really cool! Their shells cover up most of their bodies. They kinda just look lile moving shells. So, the betta cant really nip at anything on it.

And no to any fish because if he is how you said he is, he will damage or kill them
yep those long flowy mystery snails will be scared of your betta, nerite snails have nice shells
i like horned and tiger nerite

Nerites are definitely really cool! I've got one in with my other Betta, so I may end up with another.
I've always wanted to try out shrimp because of how cool they are, but yeah he'd probably nip..
Anyway I never really tried him with any fish, he just nips at plants whenever they first go in. Perhaps I shouldn't try any other fish on that note though.
yep those long flowy mystery snails will be scared of your betta, nerite snails have nice shells
i like horned and tiger nerite
I really like the horned ones, but they're just difficult to come across in stores unfortunately.
they're quite fascinating with all their different patterns. I've never bought mine online so I don't know about this particular site but here's a picture:

Woah those are super cool!

Get a nerite. That's the best thing to get. You could get a few dwarf shrimp and if it's well planted with good hiding spots, some may survive and provide some hunting entertainment for the betta. I feel like my shrimp keep my betta entertained and give him some exercise, but that only works if you have plenty of good hiding places for the shrimp.

Get a nerite. That's the best thing to get. You could get a few dwarf shrimp and if it's well planted with good hiding spots, some may survive and provide some hunting entertainment for the betta. I feel like my shrimp keep my betta entertained and give him some exercise, but that only works if you have plenty of good hiding places for the shrimp.
Hiding places such as thick plants? Or like a little cave or something?

Both. I have lots of plants in mine and also things like caves the betta can't get into or piles of rocks or driftwood. You can also buy cheap little devices that have holes small enough for shrimp but not for bettas. The shrimp can hide in there.

I added dwarf shrimp four times to tanks with bettas. Twice they lived together happily and provided entertainment and exercise for the betta and the shrimp populations grew. Twice the bettas managed to kill all the shrimp after a few months.

Want to add my latest experience, on a whim I moved my remaining 5 harlequin rasboras (almost 4 years old) to the betta tank instead of the multies tank they were at, the betta was there alone for 6 months, he is 2 years old, previously killed everything that he could, snails, shrimps, possibly other fish ... but now with the rasboras, no nipping from either side, more swimming and movement from both parties. They both seem more lively, no issues, they trade places in the tank layers,... so it is possible to experiment a bit, especially if there is a way to reverse it.

Most appropriately sized catfish are good options. They're generally armoured, occupy a different niche in the tank, and are hardy.

Otocinclus catfish, jerdoni catfish, and pygmy cory are all readily available options.

Most appropriately sized catfish are good options. They're generally armoured, occupy a different niche in the tank, and are hardy.

Otocinclus catfish, jerdoni catfish, and pygmy cory are all readily available options.
I have Pygmy cory, and after having kept several betta, would never keep them in the same tank.
I have to assert my opinion that, without any more information to go on, I think this is a very bad recommendation.

I have Pygmy cory, and after having kept several betta, would never keep them in the same tank.
I have to assert my opinion that, without any more information to go on, I think this is a very bad recommendation.
Can you elaborate? I'm curious what your experience with this cohabitation has been. I have a small group with my betta without issues currently, and have used the combo in store displays many times.

Can you elaborate? I'm curious what your experience with this cohabitation has been. I have a small group with my betta without issues currently, and have used the combo in store displays many times.
The betta in question is going in a 10 gallon tank.

I've posted elsewhere that I've seen betta fish in tanks at stores with other fish in it, and that I've always marveled at the displays.
I know other people keep betta in tanks with other fish and it seems to work out.

I've never kept Pygmy cory and betta together because it's something I wouldn't do.

I wouldn't recommend it in a 10 gallon tank, therefore in my opinion it is a very bad recommendation.

Mine live with a bunch of Endler's livebearers in s 20g long. Before that, the same Betta lived with 6 platies in a 10g.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back