Tank Mates For 'tea Cup' Ray

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jameshiggins

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
ive been looking around for something 'different' to stock my juwel rio 400 with, i like the idea ok 'teacup' rays but unsure wot would mix with it, has anyone got any suggestions was thinking about flag tails but not to sure if the tank is too small for them realy?

james

I;ve no idea how big your tank is however I bought a ray this year and struggled with it big time.... more so than any other fish I;ve kept in 18 or so years

I had a flagtail and after reading so much bout rays I made the decision ( which I regret ) to sell the flagtail as a lot of ray people say they rasp the mucus off the ray

I;d get the ray if your tank is big enough and your water is good enough and you have the time to feed it as often as a ray needs feeding with time for all the water changes

I had no probs with my bichir and the ray, my oscars I felt eat the rays food as did my fire eel so its a case of establishing the ray and getting tank mates as well latyer

when i keep rays again it will be species only tanks to ensure the rays thrive

im pretty sure a rio 400 is to small for rays. :no:

I;ve no idea how big your tank is however I bought a ray this year and struggled with it big time.... more so than any other fish I;ve kept in 18 or so years

I had a flagtail and after reading so much bout rays I made the decision ( which I regret ) to sell the flagtail as a lot of ray people say they rasp the mucus off the ray

I;d get the ray if your tank is big enough and your water is good enough and you have the time to feed it as often as a ray needs feeding with time for all the water changes

I had no probs with my bichir and the ray, my oscars I felt eat the rays food as did my fire eel so its a case of establishing the ray and getting tank mates as well latyer

when i keep rays again it will be species only tanks to ensure the rays thrive

:/ sounds like they need alot of care and time then, quite the opposite of wot my lfs said, but they would say that.
thanks for the advise mite give the rays a miss as much as i like them.

im pretty sure a rio 400 is to small for rays. :no:

think it would be fine reading this thread http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/34728-teacup-stingray/

think it would be fine reading this thread http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/34728-teacup-stingray/

tbh the guy who wrote that was a little out of his league IMO, he talks of potamotrygon laticeps which as CFC states is the motoro stingray which gets over double his stated maximum size,

Retics, being one of the smallest would be ok short term in a 400L but if your looking at keeping them for life you would need to upgrade at some time to something along the lines of 600L+,

Again as CFC stated in that thread you need to know what ray you are purchasing, a tea-cup Ray is a generic name given to all small rays,

Really someone needs to go through and fix the species index a bit as theres a few that are questionable!

your 400 litre aquarium is way too small for even the smaller rays, like the reticulatus, which are the ones most commonly named 'tea cup' rays. i am taking delivery of my 3 reticulatus tomorrow and my tank is just over 1000 litres, id consider that a minimum.
why not try a small bichir community if you like the oddball fish

went and had a chat with my lfs today, they said that 2 motoro rays would be fine,but not going to bother think i trust you guys more than them, i will be upgrading to at least a 6x2x2 hopfully june time, but still somthing could go wrong i suppose. Going to do some more reaserch

Really someone needs to go through and fix the species index a bit as theres a few that are questionable!

Agreed :good:

Hi James 6 ft is spot on but you will want wider than 2ft to be ideal for rays .. 30-36 inch would be better. They need as much floor space as possible you see

well your lfs knows very little, motoro's aren't small rays and easily exceed 2 foot in diameter, they would be too big even for a 6 foot tank, and as simonas stated 2 foot isn't really suitable for any rays, except maybe potamotrygon scobina, which you won't find easily anyway and not for less than a few hundred pounds each. you might ge away with a single potamotrygon reticulatus in a 6x2x2 but nothing more than one and nothing smaller than 6x2x2.
do not get a motoro, they are big rays and would need something like at least 6x3x2.
i wouldn't advise you to buy any ray for some time, i spent at least a couple of years researching them and still i consider myself very much still learning, if you knew the slightest about rays you'd of known your lfs was tanking rubbish. take your time in research, its not fair on the fish to keep them crampt and they will suffer and die very quickly.

Due to the tank size most rays need and the fact that the wider tanks are not common, I know a few of the local ray keepers use wood tanks. They are kinda like ponds though. Basically wood is used to make the bottom and sides of the tank, it is often elevated off the floor. Then lined with pond liner. Creates nice ray tank with lots of tank bottom for them to use. Of course they are only viewable through the surface.

Due to the tank size most rays need and the fact that the wider tanks are not common, I know a few of the local ray keepers use wood tanks. They are kinda like ponds though. Basically wood is used to make the bottom and sides of the tank, it is often elevated off the floor. Then lined with pond liner. Creates nice ray tank with lots of tank bottom for them to use. Of course they are only viewable through the surface.

I've seen a few tanks online like this it's a good idea and can be done really cheaply compared to buying a glass tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back