Tank mate for Venus?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

What is the white spot on hs mouth in pic? Salt, in my opinion would be a good idea. It a not a medication at all. It improves gill function and reduces stress. It also helps with parasites. One tablespoon of dissolved aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of aquarium water the first day. I would do daily water changes of 70% too. After 1st day, only add 3/4 tablespoon of dissolved aquarium salt per every 5 gallons. Do this for 10 days and see if he perks up. :). If any other symptoms appear, let us know. Keep checking his water parameters too. The tank may not be fully cycled yet. What are you using to test the parameters?
Iā€™m glad you asked because heā€™s always had a blotchy face but I always thought it was his colorings so I never paid much attention, here is a better quality pic. Iā€™m definitely going to start with the salt. The red stuff is root tab powder

Attachments

• 98F2D28F-4B99-4092-90DE-FC3928C63703.png
    98F2D28F-4B99-4092-90DE-FC3928C63703.png
    481.4 KB · Views: 75
I think his head is fine after all. Do the salt and water changes and keep us posted. Keep checking parameters. Bettas will lie at bottom of tank if too cold. 76F is a little cool. I live in Texas towards Galveston but I still keep heaters in my betta tanks at 80F. :)

I think his head is fine after all. Do the salt and water changes and keep us posted. Keep checking parameters. Bettas will lie at bottom of tank if too cold. 76F is a little cool. :)
Okay I just made a post about the other betta I have laying at the bottom and I wonder if the temp is what it is. I was told 75 was okay but Iā€™m realizing it should be about 78-80. I donā€™t get paid for another week so Iā€™m going to try to raise the temp of my house and see if that will make do :/
Thank you so much, you rock

Okay I just made a post about the other betta I have laying at the bottom and I wonder if the temp is what it is. I was told 75 was okay but Iā€™m realizing it should be about 78-80. I donā€™t get paid for another week so Iā€™m going to try to raise the temp of my house and see if that will make do :/
Thank you so much, you rock
Placing a towel over the top will sometimes help to hold heat in. :)

Deanasue has given you some very good advice. Do what she has told you, and let us know how he's doing in a few days.

What is the white spot on hs mouth in pic? Salt, in my opinion would be a good idea. It a not a medication at all. It improves gill function and reduces stress. It also helps with parasites. One tablespoon of dissolved aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of aquarium water the first day. I would do daily water changes of 70% too. After 1st day, only add 3/4 tablespoon of dissolved aquarium salt per every 5 gallons. Do this for 10 days and see if he perks up. :). If any other symptoms appear, let us know. Keep checking his water parameters too. The tank may not be fully cycled yet. What are you using to test the parameters?
It's the first time a white spot has been mentioned, as the OP did not mention it I didn't know this was new/ unusual/ a symptom. As far as I am aware no diagnosis or working theory had been put forward. There doesn't seem any point in using salt until we know what we are dealing with.
In response to the "wow" reaction:

It's the first time a white spot has been mentioned, as the OP did not mention it I didn't know this was new/ unusual/ a symptom. As far as I am aware no diagnosis or working theory had been put forward. There doesn't seem any point in using salt until we know what we are dealing with.
We can agree to disagree. My bff is an aquatic research analyst for several universities. She has found many beneficial uses for aquarium salt. :). The ā€œwowā€ was because you called it a medication. There are no medicinal ingredients in it. It is a mineral. All is cool though. :)

Last edited:
Yes, of course there are times when salt is of benefit. :) No objection to specific uses.

Many inert minerals are used in medicine: iron for anaemia, calcium for osteoporosis, magnesium for heartburn, iodine for cleaning wounds or thyroid dysfunction....but if you'd rather call salt a treatment that's fine, it's just semantics. :)

Yes, of course there are times when salt is of benefit. :) No objection to specific uses.

Many inert minerals are used in medicine: iron for anaemia, calcium for osteoporosis, magnesium for heartburn, iodine for cleaning wounds or thyroid dysfunction....but if you'd rather call salt a treatment that's fine, it's just semantics. :)
I am a Registered Nurse. Please do not attempt to explain the compounds of medication to me. It is much more than ā€œsemanticsā€. I am done. Letā€™s move on. :)

I think the white spot was just part of the picture angle and reflection because I donā€™t see any when I look at him now in the
I am a Registered Nurse. Please do not attempt to explain the compounds of medication to me. It is much more than ā€œsemanticsā€. I am done. Letā€™s move on. :)
Iā€™m in nursing school :) what kind of nurse are you? I donā€™t know what I want to do yet and I graduate in May hahahahaha.....

I think the white spot was just part of the picture angle and reflection because I donā€™t see any when I look at him now in the

Iā€™m in nursing school :) what kind of nurse are you? I donā€™t know what I want to do yet and I graduate in May hahahahaha.....
Started out in Med-Surg and then went into Administrative side over Risk and Patient Advocacy. After 23 years I moved to the Psych side. Emergency Room would be my choice if I was young again. :)

Started out in Med-Surg and then went into Administrative side over Risk and Patient Advocacy. After 23 years I moved to the Psych side. Emergency Room would be my choice if I was young again. :)
Awesome. Iā€™m honestly not good under a lot of stress so Iā€™m trying to find something that is less stress than ER haha not sure if that exists tho esp for a new grad

Awesome. Iā€™m honestly not good under a lot of stress so Iā€™m trying to find something that is less stress than ER haha not sure if that exists tho esp for a new grad
OB/GYN? Rehab? (Very physical though.). New nurses usually start at bedside but Infection Control and Employee Health are options after some time. I loved Risk Management. Kind of like detective work. :)

Awesome. Iā€™m honestly not good under a lot of stress so Iā€™m trying to find something that is less stress than ER haha not sure if that exists tho; especially for a new grad.
OB/GYN? Rehab? (Very physical though.). New nurses usually start at bedside but Infection Control and Employee Health are options after some time. I loved Risk Management. Kind of like detective work. :)
i never thought about rehab. Currently in my OB/Ped semester. Not really a kid person but I do enjoy womanā€™s health. However, I may end up loving clinical and end up a pediatric nurse lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back