FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Karldonteljames

Reaction score
Evening all. New to the site, so Hi everyone. I'm after some advice please. I have a 55 gallon tank, and I love it. The fish I have in it currently are:

4 x blue gouramis,
4 x silver dollars,
1 x silver shark (I really don't think it is a shark, but it kinda looks like one)

The biggest fish at the moment is the shark at about 5-6cms

I'm happy with the setup, however would like to add some colourful fish. Can anyone advise something colourful? I was thinking about some neons, but fear they will all be eaten in a couple of months when the silver dollars get bigger.

Thank for your advise in advance.

It will be a balashark/silver shark. I suggest removing it now, It will grow a foot long if not more and will outgrow your tank and eat everything in it too. 

I would start there.

Well it really depends on when colors you want. My favorite are tiger barbs. I have 6 in my 55 gallon tank and they school together a lot. I would suggest getting some plants if you haven't already because it will provide cover for the fish you already have and for future fish.

techen said:
It will be a balashark/silver shark. I suggest removing it now, It will grow a foot long if not more and will outgrow your tank and eat everything in it too. 

I would start there.
Yes good point techen. As they don't grow very fast you might be able to have them for a little bit but they will indeed grow larger then your tank can handle.

Thanks. I'm after some reds/blues I think. I know the shark will grow to about a foot, but the shop told me a 4ft tank would be big enough. At what size will I need to rehome him? I quite like tiger barbs, but wasn't sure how they would get on with the silver dollars.

I agree about the shark, he'll only be harder to get rid of later.

I wouldn't suggest Tiger Barbs with Gouramis as their long feelers will be too much of a temptation for the little nippers.  I had them in with mine & I had to return them.  You could try Cherry Barbs or some larger Harlequin Rasboras.  Black Phantom Tetras, Von Rio Flame Tetras or Lemon Tetras could work also but I wouldn't suggest Serpaes or Black Skirt/Widow Tetras as these guys are also known fin nippers.  I've never had them but Columbian Tetras are really nice, maybe someone can suggest if they'd work or not?

Karldonteljames said:
Thanks. I'm after some reds/blues I think. I know the shark will grow to about a foot, but the shop told me a 4ft tank would be big enough. At what size will I need to rehome him? I quite like tiger barbs, but wasn't sure how they would get on with the silver dollars.

Some people say that a tank should be at least twice the max length of the fish if measured in any direction, including height & depth from wall.  55 gallon tanks are 13 inches front to back so that wouldn't work out too good.

Oh, and you probably won't find a deeper, more perfect red color than that of a male Cherry Barb.  Not sure if they work with the Silver Dollars though...........

As much as I agree with you on the fin nipping I don't think it will be a problem in a large tank and if you have a large group of tiger barbs. I have 2 gouramis in my tank with 6 tiger barbs and I haven't had any problems for over a year now. I also have two bala sharks and my local fish store in the past has taken a very large one of my hands before and sold him the same day. So a good place to take those when they get bigger would be your local fish store.

I would also add that silver sharks should be kept in a group, not just one. And in a bigger tank.

The silver dollars would also appreciate a bigger tank. 55 gallons is the minimum for them.

Thanks for the advice, I have someone with a much bigger tank an mine, so when the shark gets to about 6-7 inches I'll donate him, I'll have a word with the shop too as they told me that the shark cannot be kept in groups once they are slightly bigger, but reading bout them, and from your advice I can see they are wrong. I'll call in one the way home and see what else they have.

I assume that I am not going to be able to put cichlids in the tank?

I also quite like the sword tails.

Karldonteljames said:
I'll have a word with the shop too as they told me that the shark cannot be kept in groups once they are slightly bigger, but reading bout them, and from your advice I can see they are wrong.
They might have been talking about Red Tailed Black Sharks which can't be kept in groups?

Ok so I still have my shark at the moment, he is still quite small, but as soon as he is 6-8 inches I will remove him. I've finally managed to get a semi good picture of my tank, and currently I have:

5 silver dollars
4 blue gouramis
1 Bala shark
1 plec
7 neons (which all shoal together, but will probably move these to my boys tank before the silver dollars get too big.
2 medium gold fish - I know they shouldn't be in warm water, but my father in law gave me the tank and they had been in it for about 8 years, heated, and that was two years ago.
1 small gold fish - as above only he is about 4 years old.

I am thinking of adding 6-12 cardinals, and maybe a couple of ciclid, is that advisable, or will I be over stocked? I added the log about two weeks ago and am doing water changes twice a week to keep the water clear, I have also added purigen to my filter. What do you think of my tank?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 171
I think it's way overstocked. The 3 goldfish are enough fish. The bala needs a 300 gallon tank. So does the Pleco depending on the species. So do the silver dollars.
I'll make this simple
1. Rehome silver dollars, bala shark and Pleco
2. Decide whether you want goldfish or tropical
3. If you chose tropical, lose 3 of the gouramis as they'll fight,
4. If you chose tropical, plan additional stocking. Check here before purchasing.

The goldfish are going to go in the pond as soon as it is finished, and like I said I am going to remove the shark when he is a little bigger. Do the silver dollars really need 300 gallons? That's 8"x2"x2.5" isn't it? That's HUGE!

Yeah they get to be the size of dinner plates given the chance.

Do you know what type of Pleco it is? If you do know we can decide whether it should go or not.

It'll be easier to find the shark a new home when he's small.

I'm not sure to be honest. He outgrew my friends tank so they gave him to me. Ill try and get a picture, could also do with some help to identify the "goldfish" if possible please? A colleague at work has a 6ft tank and has said he will take the shark, but some of his fish are a fair size, so it would be an idea to wait until he's a little bigger.

The only problem I'm having with pictures is that this forum only allows 100k file attachments, and using an ipad is a nightmare, can't wait to go back to windows!

Thanks.

If you post good pics we should be able to I.D it for you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back