Tank left outside question?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

didz04

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, If they have been left outside for over a year, do they have to be re-siliconed?

Thanks

It really depends on the quality of the silicone at this point. You can feel the silicone and if it is hard, stiff, or crumbly, or missing in any spot, it would need to be resealed. If you are looking at a tank online or aren’t able to feel the silicone yourself, I would recommend buying it assuming it will need to be resealed

Depends. Feel the silicone - if it’s squishy then it’s still good, of it’s hard and crusty, it’s not.

If you don’t plan on re-siliconing it, I would definitely todo do a leak test outside, before bringing it into your house.

Thanks i'll check it out tomorrow

It should be fine. I have had tanks that spent years outside and so have other people. The silicon tolerates sunlight reasonably well. It doesn't like bleach tho

One of the tanks has a chip in corner eventually looks like the glass has cracked around chip. I checked the silicon and its still quite soft. The other one is fluval tank and they usually have a lot of silicon on and its rounded but that one feels quite soft still. They've been through a lot like hot and snowy conditions.

I definitely wouldn’t use the one with the chip... maybe upload some photos of the other ones so we can take a look?

O
I definitely wouldn’t use the one with the chip... maybe upload some photos of the other ones so we can take a look?
Oh yeah the one with chip i know is long gone lol. I'll see if i can get pics of the fluval. I'll be giving fluval away but it'll be good to check for next person.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back