Tank Leaking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Be4st

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So... I was just doing a regular water change and noticed that my tank has sprung a leak. I do not know when it happened or where it is but I have a feeling its along the bottom somewhere. I have noticed water around the bottom before but thought it was to do with spillage during changes but that is not the case. I do have a small tank half the size of the current one I could put the fish into but it is not set up and I have no idea where my partner hid the thing. I also have a 160L tank that is BNIB still but have no cabinet so that is out of the question.

My current tank is 50L and the one that is somewhere in the house is 27L. I know my fish would probably be ok in the smaller tank for a day or two but if I have to go buy some aquarium grade silicon to do my first ever repair job, I'm going to have to wait for it to be delivered so they will probably be in the tank for a week or so, possibly more depending on post at this time of year.

The leak isn't anything major. Its not even dripping on the floor. Its just surrounding the plastic base and staying like that but I don't want to risk waking up one morning and realising the tank emptied itself all over the floor and my fish had died.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Thanks in advance
Be4st

what does bnib stand for exactly? sorry xD

i think putting the 160 on the floor would be a safe bet

Do you not have anywhere or anything you can put the 160 on then just transfer everything over?

Blubble37 said:
what does bnib stand for exactly? sorry xD

i think putting the 160 on the floor would be a safe bet
BNIB = Brand New in Box

star4 said:
Do you not have anywhere or anything you can put the 160 on then just transfer everything over?

No. I plan on building a cabinet for it. The only place I could put it is on the floor like Blubble said but I have a cat and rather hyper dog that runs around alot.

Chances are its most likely a seal gone rather than a crack, this will just slowly drip until it gets worse, which can take ages, do you know anyone you could borrow a tank from until you get yours fixed?

No. I already asked everyone I know that owns fish. I'm in the position where I either leave the leak alone and hope I can finish the cabinet and cycle the 160L in time or I transfer them into the smaller tank and wait for the silicone to be delivered. I can't think of anything else but that.

put the 160L on the floor, transfer filters and everything over et voila, sorted, finish the cabinet, drain the 160L down, move fish out, put it on the cabinet and then that's done too, then just reinstall filters and fish

make sure there's a lid and it's in a low house-traffic zone

Are the fish from the 50l going into the 160? if so you dont need to cycle the 160 just transfer everything over in one go, if you are using a larger filter just put all the media from the filter you are using now into the larger one.

Where in the country are you? another option is to try aquarist classifieds, gumtree etc see if you can pick up a cheap second hand tank to get you out of bother, if your near Birmingham I have a 68l tank available.

Alternatively you can use this sealant, its expensive but you can take the fish out put them in a bucket, seal the tank and put them straight back again, or use it under water, this should hold until you get your 160 cabinet built :)

look up on ebay    gold label underwater sealer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLD-LABEL-UNDERWATER-SEALER-POND-AQUARIUM-SEALANT-LINER-REPAIR-LEAK-SEAL-/160973983673?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PondsWaterFeatures_UK&var=460152398284&hash=item257acc0fb9

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you sure your lid isn't leaking? my lid drips condensation a lot.
Just a thought.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back