Tank leak

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mike91

Reaction score
Had a tank for about 5 years now and it has decided to spring a leak. Noticed this yesterday when the cabinet part collapsed slightly and the inside of the shelf is wet. Picture included for reference. Luckily I have a small tank too which I managed to put my fish in although it is now overpopulated. My question is whether it is worth looking at repairs or is it new tank time?

Attachments

• 20200813_091217.jpg
    20200813_091217.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 166
This is the spare tank they are now in. If someone could also tell me if this will be OK for the time being that would be great. I know there are too many in there so am sorting it ASAP

Attachments

• 20200813_093042.jpg
    20200813_093042.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 146
It depends on where the leak is. If it's from the sealant, then aquarium sealant isn't hard to get or expensive, you can reseal the tank yourself :) Cracked glass is a different matter, but if the panes are good, then getting new sealant will do the job. Many of us have tanks that are decades old, as long as they've been resealed, it's all good.

But replace the stand that it's on. That's too compromised now, and even if it was allowed to fully dry out, it won't be as strong now, and it would hold the tank unevenly, increasing your chances of the tank eventually cracking a pane and popping - most fish keepers worst nightmare. Tanks have to be very level on a very level, strong surface, since all that glass, water and substrate adds up to a lot of weight.

I don't know how long your fish will be okay in the temporary tank for.. you'll need to do a lot of water changes. Remember that ammonia build up happens much faster in a smaller tank. Fish waste diluting in a large tank takes a much longer time to build up to a dangerous level than in a smaller one.

Being in such close quarters with almost no hiding places can also lead to a lot more aggression and fin nipping, so be watchful about that. Not having spaces to hide can also stress the fish a lot more. Stressed fish are more vulnerable to illness and disease. If you can get your hands on some live plant, like some masses of elodea or hornwort, it'll help keep the ammonia in the tank lower, and the livebearers that are huddling in the corner would feel safer and less stressed.

Over the longer term, would you be open to some suggestions about your stocking? You have a mix of hard and soft water fish in there, which isn't great, but perhaps your water is more in the mid-range? Your numbers for the schooling fish are also a bit off, so would be worth looking at once they're back in the larger tank.

Yes the water is in mid range here so not a huge issue. The live bearers were in this small tank already but I had to add the others as the only alternative was a bucket.
The schooling fish numbers are a bit low due to fish I've lost as I've had them for a while now. I'll replenish once I get the tank sorted.

Thanks for the advice

Yes the water is in mid range here so not a huge issue. The live bearers were in this small tank already but I had to add the others as the only alternative was a bucket.
The schooling fish numbers are a bit low due to fish I've lost as I've had them for a while now. I'll replenish once I get the tank sorted.

Thanks for the advice
The livebearers really will need a bigger tank as well, it looks like it's less than 10 gallons? The bigger ones are already a bit cramped, I'm sorry.

I'm going to get the tank situation sorted as soon as possible so I'll make sure they have a big enough space. My original tank should be able to accommodate them all as it is fairly large. I'll keep a close eye for now.

@Byron @seangee , would you be able to tell me what species the stripy boys in the lower left corner are? They look sorta like tiger barbs, but the shape isn't right for those, is it? Sorry, I don't know what species they are, and it's driving me nuts :) And the one above is a cherry barb?

Yes, cherry barb and 5 banded barbs
Ah thanks! I've never kept barbs, so I don't know the different species too well. How are the banded barbs compared to say, tiger barbs? Just wondering if they might nip or harass the other fish while they're in the temporary tank.

I've had those a long time and they are great. Never had any aggression. They stay together a lot and keep to themselves. Very timid though - they hide a lot!!

I'm going to get the tank situation sorted as soon as possible so I'll make sure they have a big enough space. My original tank should be able to accommodate them all as it is fairly large. I'll keep a close eye for now.

What is the size of the larger tank (dimensions more than volume, buty both)? And what is the GH and pH? Just so we can ensure there are no other pending problems beyond the leaking tank.

What is the size of the larger tank (dimensions more than volume, buty both)? And what is the GH and pH? Just so we can ensure there are no other pending problems beyond the leaking tank.

GH 9
Ph is showing as neutral

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back