Tank idea step 1

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm probably not going to change Hank's tank very much, if at all, until quarantine is over. That being said I'm definitely not satisfied with how it looks, and I'd love to fix it up for him. I want to fully render my plans for his tank, but in order to do that I need to know what they are. Step one let's go!

I made a mock up of a rock carving I'm hoping to make and put in his tank. It will be an arch, possibly with a backing, with holes for plants to root in. I'm working on dimensions still, as I need to know how much room each plant needs for itself.

Referring to the attached picture, with each hole labelled A-E, which plants would you suggest to go in each, and how big do they get? I was thinking hole A could contain some sort of moss so there is smaller work around for the height of the plant. I was also hoping to put the biggest plant (maybe Anubias) in hole E as it would have the most room to get big and leafy there. Would I need to make the holes deep and fill them with nutrient rich substrate to promote growth? I'm planning sand for the tank

All suggestions are welcome, including where to get my hands on carving tools. I'm willing to put extra work in for nice plants, but I'm on a budget. There may be a covering of salvinia, so no plants that require intense sunlight or that aren't compatible for a betta. I am especially looking for plants that can improve the health and livelihood of my tank and fish. 10 gallon freshwater tropical.

Attachments

• Snapchat-440367446.jpg
    Snapchat-440367446.jpg
    787.4 KB · Views: 132
Looks good :) anubias, java fern, Marino moss ball, and amazon swords are all low to moderate light plants I believe. As well as java moss :) and anarchis and hornwort

I'm probably not going to change Hank's tank very much, if at all, until quarantine is over. That being said I'm definitely not satisfied with how it looks, and I'd love to fix it up for him. I want to fully render my plans for his tank, but in order to do that I need to know what they are. Step one let's go!

I made a mock up of a rock carving I'm hoping to make and put in his tank. It will be an arch, possibly with a backing, with holes for plants to root in. I'm working on dimensions still, as I need to know how much room each plant needs for itself.

Referring to the attached picture, with each hole labelled A-E, which plants would you suggest to go in each, and how big do they get? I was thinking hole A could contain some sort of moss so there is smaller work around for the height of the plant. I was also hoping to put the biggest plant (maybe Anubias) in hole E as it would have the most room to get big and leafy there. Would I need to make the holes deep and fill them with nutrient rich substrate to promote growth? I'm planning sand for the tank

All suggestions are welcome, including where to get my hands on carving tools. I'm willing to put extra work in for nice plants, but I'm on a budget. There may be a covering of salvinia, so no plants that require intense sunlight or that aren't compatible for a betta. I am especially looking for plants that can improve the health and livelihood of my tank and fish. 10 gallon freshwater tropical.
A small anubias or anubias petite would look great in one of the places.

There are several species of anubias, some grow bigger than others.
Another plant to look at is Bucephalandra, buce for short. Again there are many species and varieties though they do tend to be more expensive than java fern and anubias.

This my Bucephalandra maia, the one on the left was tied on with cotton when I took the photo, it's attached by itself now. And excuse the nerite eggs on the wood :)
Bucephalandra maia.JPG

There are several species of anubias, some grow bigger than others.
Another plant to look at is Bucephalandra, buce for short. Again there are many species and varieties though they do tend to be more expensive than java fern and anubias.

This my Bucephalandra maia, the one on the left was tied on with cotton when I took the photo, it's attached by itself now. And excuse the nerite eggs on the wood :)
View attachment 102798
Whoa that's such a pretty plant! Do you order yours online? I'm not sure how to bring the plants home as the nearest nursery is the next state over, and I don't know if they can be shipped if it doesn't have any

I get most of my plants on-line as my local shops have a very limited selection. I mainly use Ebay - but I'm in the UK. Look and see what's available on your Ebay. Other American members will be able to give you the names of other on-line plant shops.

Anubias Nana and Java Fern are low light plants but they grow very slow and does not provide much benefits to the fish other than as shelters.

Hornwort and Anacharis Elodea
are fast growing plants that are good for absorbing nitrate/waste from your tank. You can even keep them floating in the water.

Some info:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back