Tank heater way too warm

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I noticed my fish were acting weird and was gonna do a water change. I noticed the water was way to warm. About 90 degrees. My heater is set to its lowest setting, it's a new heater and it had 4and a half star reviews. I unplugged it. Would doing a cooler water change shock the fish too much? Should I just let the temp cool on it's own? We keep the house at about 71 degrees so would no heater be ok? I cant afford to buy a second new one right now.
Tank has 6 rummynose tetra, 4 neons, 7 otos, and 4 ember tetra fry

I could have been like that for awhile too because I missed a couple water changes to due an injury

I would open the top lid if you have one so the tank cools and do a water exchange but take my time doing it so it is not a sudden drop in temp so the fish have time to adjust.

Thanks I will

DON'T DO A WATER CHANGE WITH COOL WATER. you will shock the fish.

Just turn the heater off and let it cool down by itself.

no idea what 71F is in C but it will be better than 90F, which can cook fish.

@Colin_T There is calculator tab on the bottom of forum.

I would open the top lid if you have one so the tank cools and do a water exchange but take my time doing it so it is not a sudden drop in temp so the fish have time to adjust.
Do you think aquarium chiller worth the money? i have this problem too with discus tank.

Its 21.6 in C

What is an aquarium chiller?
Aquarium chillers are refridgeration units designed to cool the aquarium water. They are used by people who keep cold water fishes but they live in hot climates. You don't need one for a normal tropical aquarium.

How low does your heater setting go too?

I would switch it off and let the heater cool down.

If your house is warm you’ll find temperature will become warmer.
I noticed that with my tank as I had my heaters on at home I found it raised the tank temp.

I’ve adjusted mine just in case heaters come on at home.

Just monitor your tank and you’ll find the right setting

Good luck

I agree with other members here. Let the tank cool naturally. House (room) tyemperature also affects how heaters work.

Re the heater, you have a couple of options. First and likely best is to return it to the store; if they are a reliable fish store that wants your business they will (should) exchange it. No mention is made of the tank size or the heater wattage, but higher wattage heaters tend to be more reliable; I have never had one over 100w fail, but I have had three 50w heaters fail.

If you are inteent on keeping it, unplug the heater and wait an hour; if you are sure it is at the lowesty setting, plug it back in and see what occurs, but monitor it carefully.

If you are inteent on keeping it, unplug the heater and wait an hour; if you are sure it is at the lowesty setting, plug it back in and see what occurs, but monitor it carefully.
I would do that test in a bucket of tap water.

I would do that test in a bucket of tap water.

Fine, but just make sure the bucket of water is the temperature you (JuiceBox) want the tank to run. The test is to determine if the heater works to maintain the intended temperature. It may well give out if placed in a bucket of cold water, and if thee water is too warm it will not be reliable either.

I had it set at the lowest setting 68 (I think)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back