Tank Feels Cold?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PlecMama

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well, following a heater disaster earlier today, boiled a few fish...I bought a new heater and put it in, but it just doesn't feel right. It feels a bit cold, I have tried turning it up, but then it feels a bit hot. It's set to 25, but when I turn it, I hear it click on at 28 - but that tank's never 25, I'm sure, it feels lots colder than it use to feel.

It's 2am now and I darent go to bed in case my one remaining fish freezes or boils in the night. Assuming I can't get this exactly right, will my Striped Rafael be better a little cold or a little warm? he's a big boy, about five inches long, if it makes a difference. I know neither is ideal but I have to go to sleep sometime. I don't know....I am just fretting that it's going to end badly. I'm going to go with colder if no one has any ideas.

Any advice at all?

Any time that you must choose too hot or too cold, always choose too cold. Too hot means not enough oxygen for the fish and they do not do well. Too cold means a minor discomfort as long as you get it right fairly soon.

I did go with colder, and he is still here this morning. Reverse parked in his cave with all his whiskers poking out. Probably wondering where everybody went :( Thanks for replying.

Poor things. R.I.P.

How many gallons is the tank.
How low did the temp drop when the heater broke.
it could take a while to reach the temp it's set at if there was a big difference.

do you have a thermometer? if you're using the temp. gauge on the heater itself they aren't very accurate at all. when adjusting the temperature do so slowly as the big changes are what stress the fish out

Unfortunately, it was a heater freak-out, not a break down - it must have been closer 35-40*c when it went up the wall, shocking.

I know it was hot because it actually felt hot to your hand, you know? I saw floating bodies and put my hand on the tank expecting it to be stone-cold, and the glass was hot like a bath. What a horrible way to go. I was going to start scooping bodies before my little boy saw them all, then I saw his gills move, so I rescued him out to a spare tank, it was pretty much so unbelievably hot, I didn't dare start a gradual cooling of the water to reduce shock, I think he maybe had minutes left in there, he was upside down on the surface gasping intermittantly. I took him out to a tiny spare tank and made the water in it warmer than it should be, but colder than the dead tank. He hid under a castle and I emptied the big tank and started again. I know it's not cycled but it was full of cooked fish juice, there was actually a film all on the top. I don't think any of the water was worth saving.

Anyway, I drained and cleaned the tank out. It's a sand bottom tank so I left the sand intact. Don't know if there will be any good bacteria left since it pretty much boiled it. But he looks ok today. I know he's had a shock and now he's all on his own, but I am not going to do anything with him or the tank for a couple of weeks now, I'll just leave everything to settle down and see how he does. I know he's a lot more at risk of infection now he's been traumatized, but I hold out hope that he'll be ok. If everything is ok be Christmas, I will get him some new buddies.

He and the other Raph were Mothers Day presents from my son. He loved them because they croak.

** Oh and the temp feels about right now, I turned it up a little bit this morning and it seems to be holding steady. Raph is still in his cave, but that's where I'd expect him to be in the middle of the day, he's moving about in there a bit, you know how they wiggle and adjust themselves, so he seems happy enough, considering.

Sorry for you losses.
R.I.P.
Good Luck.

at least the one remaining fish seems to be ok now, and you know it wasn't something you did.

chances are the bacteria went the same way as the fish, so you'll be starting a fish in cycle now. it shouldn't be too much of a problem with just the one fish, just keep a close eye on the water quality and slowly add stock when you're ready to re-stock

Just a quicky....Raph is doing ok today, I fear saying anymore, you know how that goes, you just say they look great and the next morning find them fins up, but suffice to say, no change is a good thing. Swimming and eating....and hoping.

Hi Hairbrush
You are in the perfect place for advice, i joined here last week after being a long time reader of this forum
and i have to say the advice here is the best ive recieved from any forum ive been to.
So if anything happens (i realy hope it doesnt) these guys/gals will go all out to help you.
Its a superb forum with very knowledgeable people, i hope you intend to stick around here as i definitely will do.
Ive learnt ALOT from here.

Regards
Scott

Just a little update, my Striped Raphael (one remaining fish) is doing great, in fact, as the sole occupant of the tank, he's out and about all the time, swims up when he sees you, follows you along the glass if you put your finger up to him, he seems really friendly now, whereas before he never much bothered to come out.

I worry that he's lonely, but they don't live in groups do they? he did have a same-species friend until the heatwave took everyone else away.

Should I get him a friend or should I leave him as he is? I don't want him to live an "I am Legend" lifestyle, hanging out all day on his own, trying to amuse himself and being lonely, but if he's happy enough on his own, I like the new interaction I get from him.

Post in the correct part of the forum about the fish. Will get more help over there.
Glad the fish are ok.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back