Tank Explodes !!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tank Bruno

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had this happen?
Do you know someone this has happened to?
What are the causes?

Truly devastating and terrifying to think of...

Back in 2004 I managed to stick my foot through the side of a 40g aquarium that was fully stocked

Thought I would be clever cos it lived on the floor anyway and I wanted to move it backwards a bit cos it was not straight in its alcove. It was half empty due to being on water change day

You have never seen anyone move as fast as I did to get towels etc.....hardly any spillage, no fish lost...a very soggy foot and loads of expletives

The entire side cracked and by the time I got back with armloads of bath towels which I put tight to the cracked area, it shattered on that one side

Needless to say I have never tried to move an aquarium with my feet again...or kept one on the floor again either

Has anyone ever had this happen?
Do you know someone this has happened to?
What are the causes?

Truly devastating and terrifying to think of...
Once I was tending to business and a wall collapsed in the depicted system. I swam faster than a Gold Medalist and escaped safely.

Attachments

• 1CFDA157-0B28-4CB1-B162-B52BB577484F.jpeg
    1CFDA157-0B28-4CB1-B162-B52BB577484F.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 37
Once I was tending to business and a wall collapsed in the depicted system. I swam faster than a Gold Medalist and escaped safely.
You're gonna keep that bathroom tank rumor up as long as possible 😂

This made a mess....and no feet involved either apparently

Not sure but aren't bowfronts more liable or prone to doing this?

Back in 2004 I managed to stick my foot through the side of a 40g aquarium that was fully stocked

Thought I would be clever cos it lived on the floor anyway and I wanted to move it backwards a bit cos it was not straight in its alcove. It was half empty due to being on water change day

You have never seen anyone move as fast as I did to get towels etc.....hardly any spillage, no fish lost...a very soggy foot and loads of expletives

The entire side cracked and by the time I got back with armloads of bath towels which I put tight to the cracked area, it shattered on that one side

Needless to say I have never tried to move an aquarium with my feet again...or kept one on the floor again either.
I'll definitely avoid putting a tank on the floor lol also using anything other than hands to shift it.

Glad you managed to save the fish. Good job.

It does happen too often in movies. :(
Yea no need for it.

One sticks in my mind from the original
'Total Recall'
Great film, love it. Why they had to kick over that gold fish tank I don't know.
Hope they were swiftly scooped up.

A pet shop up the road had a 5 foot discus tank lose the front glass. Apparently it just gave and the entire sheet of glass just peeled off the tank. Hundreds of litres of water and fish all over the shop. They put it down to poor quality silicon or glass that wasn't cleaned properly when the tank was made.

This made a mess....and no feet involved either apparently

Not sure but aren't bowfronts more liable or prone to doing this?
I have a tall bow front.. ahhh!!
Not quite as bowed as that but yea, concerning.
I'm hoping as I made sure mine was completely level before filling it, that it may prevent this.

A pet shop up the road had a 5 foot discus tank lose the front glass. Apparently it just gave and the entire sheet of glass just peeled off the tank. Hundreds of litres of water and fish all over the shop. They put it down to poor quality silicon or glass that wasn't cleaned properly when the tank was made.
Jesus, that's like worst case scenario. The loss and mess must be unbelievable.

I went into a fish section of a garden centre a few years ago just as they'd finished cleaning up the mess after a child banged on a tank and broke it. Until Maidenhead Aquatics took over, there was a rope barrier in front of the tanks to stop anyone touching the tanks.

I went into a fish section of a garden centre a few years ago just as they'd finished cleaning up the mess after a child banged on a tank and broke it. Until Maidenhead Aquatics took over, there was a rope barrier in front of the tanks to stop anyone touching the tanks.
Those pesky kids.. adults keep an eye on your rug rats please.

Jesus, that's like worst case scenario. The loss and mess must be unbelievable.
One of the shops I worked at had a 10 foot discus tank that was planted up. One of the workers was a stoner and freaked out. He threw a piece of limestone through the front of the tank and smashed it. Lots of water, fish, gravel and plants everywhere. The shop was shut for the day. The police were called. The stoner never got fired and the next day the shop was re-opened.

To this day I can't understand why the boss didn't sack the stoner's ass and have him charged by the police. The stoner was a fuplie moron who used to give away fish, tanks and gear to his mates and never asked them to pay for anything. He kept bags of pot in the quarantine room. If the pot had been found by a quarantine officer, the shop would have been closed, lost its importer's license, lost it's quarantine facility and we would have all been charged with possessing illegal narcotics. The boss knew there was pot there too and didn't do anything.

The stoner even put fish that were ordered in for customers, into the shop display tanks and wouldn't let the customers buy the fish. That shop closed about 6 months after I freaked out at him for telling a customer to fuplie off and refusing to sell him some fish he had ordered. The customer's tank was fine, but the stoner was a fuplie idiot. I got sacked for doing that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back