Tank Emergency!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Torred1771

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Not a fish emergency, but the bottom of my new 125 litre tank just cracked and water poured down the stand, I had to VERY QUICKLY empty the tank and move it to the bath, where we discovered a crack in the bottom of the tank. We were downstairs cooking dinner and we heard a big crack and were wondering what it was, sure enough it was the tank!!!

HELP!!!!!!

How long have you had it? If not long then get it replaced from where you got it.
Have you a large container big enough to hold the fish, you can put your heater & filter in that & they will be fine for a few days

How long have you had it? If not long then get it replaced from where you got it.
Have you a large container big enough to hold the fish, you can put your heater & filter in that & they will be fine for a few days

I bought it secondhand. Thankfully there were no fish in it.

Oh dear, what a bummer, glad there were no fish in it though

So what's the question then? You either need to replace the base of the tank or buy a new one.

Yes, it can be replaced, although it may be better long-term to replace the tank. I would try to find why the base broke to avoid a repeat. Was the tank stand level, did it sit on polystyrene or was there something between the base of the tank and the stand (a bit of gravel, for instance)?

Yes, it can be replaced, although it may be better long-term to replace the tank. I would try to find why the base broke to avoid a repeat. Was the tank stand level, did it sit on polystyrene or was there something between the base of the tank and the stand (a bit of gravel, for instance)?

After doing some research, I think I know why it cracked, there was no polystyrene under it to support the gap between the tank and stand. It was completely level though. I think I will go with a new tank, I just cant see a repaired tank being as durable as a new one.

Having seen the tank set up in your other threads etc, i would vote there was either something under it (grain of sand, etc), or nothing to support it. I would vote the first.

From the pic in your other thread, it seems your tank has an integral support, the big plastic band running around the bottom, which covers the bottom and supports all four corners. You dont need to put polystyrene under these tanks. Which only leads me to think there was something between the glass and the unit it was placed on, which from what i can see, isnt an aquarium stand.

Its not too much of a problem with small tanks (80 odd litres or less) but when you start progressing up the sizes of tanks, they need proper support to stop the above happening.

I would bin the tank and buy another second hand one if you or someone close cant effect a proper repair to the tank.

Having seen the tank set up in your other threads etc, i would vote there was either something under it (grain of sand, etc), or nothing to support it. I would vote the first.

From the pic in your other thread, it seems your tank has an integral support, the big plastic band running around the bottom, which covers the bottom and supports all four corners. You dont need to put polystyrene under these tanks. Which only leads me to think there was something between the glass and the unit it was placed on, which from what i can see, isnt an aquarium stand.

Its not too much of a problem with small tanks (80 odd litres or less) but when you start progressing up the sizes of tanks, they need proper support to stop the above happening.

I would bin the tank and buy another second hand one if you or someone close cant effect a proper repair to the tank.

I sold the tank for £15 and went and bought a BRAND NEW slightly smaller tank more suitable for the stand, I bought a 90 litre BOW FRONT that came with a nice base to support the tank.

Much better to have the specific stand for the tank as it'll be designed to take the strain of that particluar tank, but any aquarium stand over a chest of drawers etc, is always better.

Chests of draws etc are designed to bear an internal weight, not an external force pushing down on the top. Thats why they bow if you put tanks/tv's on them, no centre support. (For a small tank however, its quite easy to fit a rear brace and a centre support to make it adequate)

Glad youve got it sorted now!

Much better to have the specific stand for the tank as it'll be designed to take the strain of that particluar tank, but any aquarium stand over a chest of drawers etc, is always better.

Chests of draws etc are designed to bear an internal weight, not an external force pushing down on the top. Thats why they bow if you put tanks/tv's on them, no centre support. (For a small tank however, its quite easy to fit a rear brace and a centre support to make it adequate)

Glad youve got it sorted now!

Its on the same stand, but the tank came with like a black base to support the bottom of the tank. I will take pics soon.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back