Tank Emergency; Gold fish is red, fish are lethargic, danio has ich

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

It could be ammonium and not ammonia. Ammonium is safe to the fish. The only way to know for sure is to get a test Kit to test free ammonia. My tanks always test at .5 ammonia but mine is ammonium. I keep ammonia alerts in my tanks and they are always normal. Do you have chlorine or chloramine in your tap? I have chloramine and ammonium.

B92FA8F6-639E-4FA2-909E-D25A7CDDC278.png
It could be ammonium and not ammonia. Ammonium is safe to the fish. The only way to know for sure is to get a test Kit to test free ammonia. My tanks always test at .5 ammonia but mine is ammonium. I keep ammonia alerts in my tanks and they are always normal. Do you have chlorine or chloramine in your tap? I have chloramine and ammonium.
This the test kit I use.

Iā€™ll look into that test kit, cus I have no idea weather it's harmful ammonia or not. I am pretty sure my tap water contains chloramine because my water straight from the tap tests positive for ammonia.

I do tend to have high temps and high pH (80f and 7.8ph), which from what I've heard makes the ammonia more toxic.

I'll go ahead and drain and fill the 40 gal tonight and let it sit overnight and test it tommorow. If all looks good I'll transfer him over and put the inverts in. I'll post pictures of how I have everything set tonight and see what y'all think. Fingers crossed all goes well!

ā€”ā€”-
Edit:

So here is the tank after draining and setting back up.
9B8EB673-A772-4398-B274-151E874D08D3.jpeg

I donā€™t think it looks to shabby! I may have broken a few best practices with my filling tho.
I put about 20-25% of the water in by mixing the conditioner in a bucket and then siphoning in, after which I dosed the last bucket with enough conditioner to do 40 Gal, even though the first 10 was already dosed. I just stirred these into the bucket for a minute and then siphoned in. After the last bucket I just used my python to go straight tap water in, making sure to have the aerator on and stirring the water with the tube conteousuly. Itā€™s been a little over an hour since I finished the fill, so I think its close to time to kick in the filter again. I know that you should condition and let sit, but the way I did this it still took me 2 hours to do this change ( I need to get my system down).

I did notice that above the aerator there is some foam forming. This only started after the addition of the water with a ton of conditioner (I ran out of Tetra AquaSafe, so I used some of my 1 gal jug of Aqueon Conditioner). Iā€™m just chalking this up to the fact that I dosed more conditioner than needed, but any other ideas for a cause are welcome. The foam does dissipate quickly once it gets away from the aerator and cant be netted out. Hereā€™s a picture of the foam:
43E8D96F-176B-4C3E-9B7C-DD6DFC7DA2DA.jpeg

Iā€™ll test the water tomorrow and see if I think its ready for my dwarf gourami. Any other suggestions for things I can do to keep my precious fish from the same untimely demise of my other fish?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back