Tank Decorations

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dixaisy930

I'm trying really hard to act normal
Reaction score
I'd like to decorate my tank a little differently, and saw plastic slinkies in the toy section. Would these be alright? I know the metals ones wouldn't work, but I thought maybe the plastic ones might be ok. Any other suggestions for tank accesories? :fun:

anything that you could use should have no metal. if it does, then you could coat it in acrylic. the plastic clinkies would work. i would boil them first. leggos are also great. can make all kids of landscapes. barbies also work, but do reccommend that you tie down the hair.

This topic seems to come up alot on forums, so I'll give my usual reply....................

While I certainly do not want to shoot down anyones preferrence when it comes to decorating their tank, there are several things to keep in mind when doing so..............

1. Fish can become stressed from outlandish colors in their aquarium!! Colors such as hot pink/purple are not good for the fish.

2. The same hot pink/purple/ bright greens and the like detract from the beauty of the fish and will have a tendancy to draws ones attention away from the fish!!

In essences 9and this is only my opinion) I would stay away from unnatural items to decorate an aquarium with.

Using natural items such as rocks/slate/plants are the better way to go. Keep this in mind.................

Although you are the one who has to look at the tank.....it is the FISH who have to live in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CM

Thanks for all of the advice. I saw a mini slinky in the shape of a rabbit's head yesterday (it was a pastel gree). My thinking was it might provide some nice shelter for ghost shrimp. :wub: I was planning on that being the only "exotic" decoration in my tank.

It's a metal spring like thing that walks down the stairs (supposedly) though my sons one goes down one stair then falls down the rest. :D He does use it for setting traps by pulling it and attatching it to opposite sides of doorways, though since it pinged back and "bit" him in the face I think that the mummy traps might have lost their appeal. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that I know what a slinkie is, isn't there a chance that the fish might get caught in the coils if they're a little inquisitive?

not really. the coils are tight unless the slinky is in motion. you would have to anchor the slinky in the gravel and that would keep the coils tight.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back