Tank Cycled - What Fish to add Now

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VeryFatbloke

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My tank has now cycled, it's a 60 litre, 24"x12"x13"

I currently have 3 Zebra Danios which have helped in the cycling process and am wondering what type and how many new fish I can add.

Obviously I don't want to add too many too quickly and undo the cycle but my intention is for the tank to be a community one. My current water parameters are
Ph:8
Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:10

As an aside I want to add a background to the tank as it does not have one, would doing so now create additional stress for the Danios?

Cheers

3 more Zebra danio (danio reio) or 3 Leopard danio (danio franki reio)

Danios need to be in groups of 5 or more

checkout my website for more info

EDIT
As an aside I want to add a background to the tank as it does not have one, would doing so now create additional stress for the Danios?

No it won't but do it with the light off.

Fish sometimes prefer a tank with a background as it makes them feel secure. Although this isn't so relevant if one side of the tank is already against the wall.

What kind of fish would you like? do you want colourful fish, active fish, pretty fish, or what?

Thanks Danio and Cluttery

I intend to add some more Danios, my boys like the leopard ones that we've seen in the LFS.

My wife also like Tetras, but I'm unsure about them cos of my water Ph. If I get time tomorrow I'll go to the lfs and see what they can suggest, they seem to know their stuff.

Forgot to say that the tank isn't entirely against the wall, there's a gap of about a foot but feel a background would enhance the look as the wall is light coloured.

The water in my area has a high ph. Between 7.6 and 8.4. I have 2 neon tetras that I've kept for over 2 years with no problem and have added 2 more recently after acquiring a bigger tank. The specific ones that I have don't seem to have a problem and are happy fish. You might want to check with your LFS to see what ph they have in their water to see if it is similar to yours.

VeryFatbloke said:
Thanks Danio and Cluttery

I intend to add some more Danios, my boys like the leopard ones that we've seen in the LFS.

My wife also like Tetras, but I'm unsure about them cos of my water Ph. If I get time tomorrow I'll go to the lfs and see what they can suggest, they seem to know their stuff.

Forgot to say that the tank isn't entirely against the wall, there's a gap of about a foot but feel a background would enhance the look as the wall is light coloured.
IMO backgrounds make the tank look much better. Hides the wires aswell. :p I just used a big piece of black card that i picked up from a craft shop for about 50p and it makes the plants and fishes really stand out.

You could try asking your lfs what pH the water in their tanks is. If it's high like yours, the tetras in the shop should (hopefully!) be tolerant to it already. See what the lfs recommend though.

I also think tanks look nicer when stocked with fish that are on all levels, so you could look into getting some corydoras as they are small, peaceful bottom feeders. They're cute and have whiskers so hopefully your kids might like them too. :) have fun.

Well I managed to get to the lfs. I got two Leopard Danios and also ended up with a Golden Loach as I have a lot of brown algae at the moment.The lfs suggested it would do the job and clear the algae up.

VeryFatbloke said:
many tetras can be aggressive towards other fish IME
All I can say is research the tetra you are looking at to see if they are good community fish.
My Experiance is only limited to silver tip tetras, penguine tetras and blind cave tetras all of which were fine to start with but became very aggressive as they got older.

HTH :D

danio2004 said:
3 more Zebra danio (danio reio) or 3 Leopard danio (danio franki reio)

Danios need to be in groups of 5 or more
yup (they r chums and it usally makes it easier on them if they have buddys around)

OK

The tank has been very stable since adding the 2 Leopard Danios and the GSL. I now want to add some more fish. I am thinking 5 or 6 Cardinal Tetras.

Are they likely to add a significant load to the waste produce and cause a mini cycle? Or can I just add them, taking the usual precautions, without worrying about the waste?

Comments please

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back