Tank cycled and stocked finally 😁

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
If you followed the tank cycling method on here, using 3ppm of ammonia, you will have grown enough beneficial bacteria to fully stock the tank immediately. 😊👍
I disagree.
The water parameters at the end of cycling were correct for an empty tank.
Adding a few fish changes things...adding a lot of fish changes things a lot.
As mentioned, some fish, like Rams, do better in established and mature tanks and our aim is for our fish to do better, surely?

Plus, if things do go mammaries skyward, you've got a lot of suffering fish to rescue, as opposed to a half dozen..

The idea behind fishless cycling is that you grow a lot more bacteria than a fully stocked - a sensibly stocked - tank will ever need. So all the proposed fish can be added as soon as the cycle has finished. In theory.
Personally, I would prefer to go no higher than three quarters of the proposed stock.
And as you say, there are some fish which need a mature tank so if any of these are on the wish list they need to wait a few months.

A cycled tank is one which can remove 3 ppm ammonia through to nitrate within 24 hours.
A mature tank is one which has been running with fish for several months trouble free.

Cycling grows only the micro-organisms needed to remove ammonia and nitrite. A mature tank has countless other micro-organisms and these need to establish before a tank can be considered mature.

If you followed the tank cycling method on here, using 3ppm of ammonia, you will have grown enough beneficial bacteria to fully stock the tank immediately. 😊👍
That is correct.

Nice tank, good job with your patience in getting it cycled.

Keep an eye on those angels and diamond tetras at feeding time, things could get pretty boisterous...diamonds are crazy, aggressive diners

The idea behind fishless cycling is that you grow a lot more bacteria than a fully stocked - a sensibly stocked - tank will ever need. So all the proposed fish can be added as soon as the cycle has finished. In theory.
Personally, I would prefer to go no higher than three quarters of the proposed stock.
And as you say, there are some fish which need a mature tank so if any of these are on the wish list they need to wait a few months.

A cycled tank is one which can remove 3 ppm ammonia through to nitrate within 24 hours.
A mature tank is one which has been running with fish for several months trouble free.

Cycling grows only the micro-organisms needed to remove ammonia and nitrite. A mature tank has countless other micro-organisms and these need to establish before a tank can be considered mature.
I guess I got confused and thought mature tank meant a cycled tank. I’ll keep an eye on everything and hopefully won’t have to much trouble 😳

I guess I got confused and thought mature tank meant a cycled tank. I’ll keep an eye on everything and hopefully won’t have to much trouble 😳
IMO, a "mature" tank is one that has been set up and running trouble free for at least 6 months.

You did fine by stocking fully once your cycle was complete, no worries...just monitor params (ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte) closely for a few weeks, as should be standard practice for freshly cycled, newly stocked tanks

Nice tank, good job with your patience in getting it cycled.

Keep an eye on those angels and diamond tetras at feeding time, things could get pretty boisterous...diamonds are crazy, aggressive diners
Thank you 😊 I noticed the first time I fed, they were super fast at feeding. They haven’t caused any problems yet though. I usually put some on both sides of the tank, and the diamonds usually stay on one side and the angels on the other, when they eat.

Yes that is an easy conclusion to come to. There are some species like otos and shrimp that really should have a mature tank because they are herbivores or/and grazers so need the biofilm as described in Essjays post. Others like your rams are not recommended for new tanks due to the parameters often being problematic in new tanks. However with a properly cycled tank as yours, with careful monitoring, there is no reason why the water quality would not remain high. Rams may suffer with gravel/ stone substrates or a high flow though.

Yes that is an easy conclusion to come to. There are some species like otos and shrimp that really should have a mature tank because they are herbivores or/and grazers so need the biofilm as described in Essjays post. Others like your rams are not recommended for new tanks due to the parameters often being problematic in new tanks. However with a properly cycled tank as yours, with careful monitoring, there is no reason why the water quality would not remain high. Rams may suffer with gravel/ stone substrates or a high flow though.
I’ve been testing and thankfully my numbers are still good, have my fingers crossed 🤞. I have sand as substrate. They like to sift through it lol. They are getting bigger, and look super healthy so I’m hoping I don’t have any problems.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back