Tank cracked! How long can I keep my betta in his temporary home?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BetterWithBettas

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
My tank cracked!! He is temporarily in a 1 gallon/3.7 Litre planted ornamental aquarium that I wasn't intending to add any livestock to. I have a few larger containers that I use temporarily for aquarium related things but opted to put him in this because it is established and nicley planted for him. It's really small so I wanted to know if/how long I am able to keep my betta in this, I have added a heater for him while he is in there and dont mind doing daily water changes while he is in there also. I have a 30 litre aquarium arriving in the mail for another project but would be setting it up for him now when it arrives (est 1 week until arrival but maybe 2 weeks depending on courier). I can go out and buy a 20L or something but won't have the chance for a couple of days still and would prefer to have him in the larger 30L as his new tank.

Also how do I keep his filter cycled? I can't fit it into the container he is in now but can put it into another tank for the moment, does it need to be on to keep my cycle or can I just have it in the tank turned off?

Thanks for taking the time to read and any input provided!

The beneficial bacteria need at least some water movement to stay alive. The bacteria also needs to "eat". If you can, put the filter on a bucket that has dechlorinated water in it and plug it in. Add fish food (or aquarium safe ammonia) to feed the bacteria alive. That is what I would do anyway. There might be a better method.

The betta should be okay in 1 gallon temporarily. It is not ideal, but it can work. Make sure you keep on top of water changes.

The beneficial bacteria need at least some water movement to stay alive. The bacteria also needs to "eat". If you can, put the filter on a bucket that has dechlorinated water in it and plug it in. Add fish food (or aquarium safe ammonia) to feed the bacteria alive. That is what I would do anyway. There might be a better method.

The betta should be okay in 1 gallon temporarily. It is not ideal, but it can work. Make sure you keep on top of water changes.
I should clarify, if adding fishfood to keep the bacteria alive you should add it each day.

Thanks for your reply! Gah I know it's not ideal at all, the other containers I use for fish stuff are only marginally bigger so it was the best option I had for a quick decision scenario :X I also thought about putting him into a breeder box in another tank temporarily but it's even smaller than the 1 gallon.Yes I will definitely keep on top of water changes while he is in there. Thank you for the tips on the cycle. It's really low flow as per betta preferences so I may just keep it in the tank it is in now and turn it on on the other side of the tank (it's a long tank) until I can set up his new tank.

I agree with all of the above. Make sure that your bb is under water (fully submerged) and there is some sort of oxygen source in the tank. Hope you can get him a new home soon.

If they can survive months in those horrible little cups at the pet store or a cantaloupe sized vase for two years at my *shudder* mother in laws, a think you'll be just fine in a 1 gallon until you get a new tank cycled. And I'll second what the above posters have said regarding maintenance of the 1 gallon.

Another option would be to get a 5 gallon bucket or Rubbermaid style tub and put your filter in there and use that as your temporary housing. It wouldn't be very aesthetically pleasing, but it would be a cheap, effective solution.

If they can survive months in those horrible little cups at the pet store or a cantaloupe sized vase for two years at my *shudder* mother in laws, a think you'll be just fine in a 1 gallon until you get a new tank cycled. And I'll second what the above posters have said regarding maintenance of the 1 gallon.

Another option would be to get a 5 gallon bucket or Rubbermaid style tub and put your filter in there and use that as your temporary housing. It wouldn't be very aesthetically pleasing, but it would be a cheap, effective solution.
I have had to do this a couple of times, before I got a proper qt tank. The fish got to spend 2 weeks in a bucket with a filter.

Thank you guys for your responses! I have been a bit stressed thinking of him in the 3.7L so I jumped on Gumtree and bought a 2nd hand 80L at a good price and will be picking it up this morning for him and will move him in today. Both my bettas are (well until the 2nd cracked) in 75Ls and he probably would have been fine in the 3.7L for a week or so but I just felt so bad with the size difference. After this situation has settled, I will definitely be buying some 20L tanks to have as back ups! Thanks again all :D

Most reactions

Back