Tank choices?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishperson100

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

So, currently, I have a goldfish in one tank with 2 catfish (Corydoras aeneus). I know they don't belong together, I didn't know better at the time when I got one of them. I will be moving the goldfish to a pond (seeing as how he is like 6 in long). I was planning on getting some more catfish (so I would have like 5). What other fish could I put in the tank if I did regular WC? It is a 10 gallon, with a HOB filter, and will get a heater if I get more catfish. Thank you!

Would a few Neolamprolongus fasciatus (hope I spelled that right:) be fine in there? (With shells and fine-grained substrate?)

You can't keep Neolamprologus of any species with cories. Neolamprologus come from Lake Tanganyika and need hard alkaline water. Cories are soft water fish. Rift Lake cichlids should only be kept with fish from the same lake.

What is the hardness of your tap water? Your water supplier's website should have that information somewhere on their website. You need both the number and the unit as they could use any one of half a dozen units.
It is easier to keep fish suited to your tap water than try to alter the water to suit a particular fish.

Absolutely, when we first started our big tank we had cories, 6 lil panda's cute as a button and we lost the lot.

Had no idea why till i found out how water hardness affects fish. Where i am in the uk our water is officially described as hard.

It really is as important a consideration as the amm and nitrite/trate levels.

Sorta, i am going to to one this afternoon. I'm not sure how hard or soft my water is, as it comes from a well, i will ask.

I do rather large monthly changes of my water! Our water is actually relatively hard. My catfish have been fine for years, so I am not worrying too much about them. Thanks for the info!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back