Tank..check, Plants..check, Co2..check, Ferts...erk.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tizer

Team TetraTEC
Reaction score
Ok, so, Compressed Co2 isnt something i've ever done before in a tank, plants have never been my thing..until now!

Tonight i setup my FE Co2 system as shown below:

dsc01193k.jpg

dsc01195wb.jpg

dsc01196v.jpg

I've not put a bubble counter in place, didnt see the point with the reactor, but there is a check valve so thats any backflow covered. I have a night time solenoid attached to a timer, had to snip the 2 pin plug off and put a standard uk one on, no problems there. Reactor seems to work well, although i might extend it a little, shame to waste the co2. Bubbles exit at half the size they come in at the base. At the moment its set to 1 bubble every 2 secs.

So, lights come on at 5pm, 2 x T5 38 Watts and Co2 starts also. Its Juwel Rio 240 Litre Tank with a 305 External filter.

Most of my plants are hardy, capable of coping without Co2, but i'm hoping the Dwarf Hairgrass will have a new lease of life and i can watch it carpet over time. I'd also like to see my crypts bloom into life and the Amazon swords too.

I've got some reading to do into ferts now and im not begging to be spoon fed info, but if anyone is sitting at their desk with nothing better to do, any tips are most welcome.

Cheers

my advice would be to get a drop checker and a glass diffuser, you can then monitor and see where your C02 diffused around the tank. Have you got your ladder near a good amount of flow?

I'd turn the CO2 off until you get a drop checker as Ianho stated, then you're at no risk of gassing your fish.

Two glass drop checkers on order, will stick one either end. The filters outflow can be seen in the 3rd pic, top right, it pumps out left towards the ladder but not direct at it, just missing it slightly.

I'd turn the CO2 off until you get a drop checker as Ianho stated, then you're at no risk of gassing your fish.

I've got the old API liquid tests, i'll test the PH nightly until they get here, will only be a day or two. Cant see enough gas building up to do much harm before then if its only on for a few hours a night can you? Happy to side with caution if you think im skating on thin ice though!

The PH/KH relationship charts don't work if that's what you're using as organics within the water can play a part in the PH too.

What's your CO2 schedule?

Its setup to come on 30 minutes before my lights at 4:30 and both go off at 10pm. Currently set to 30 bubbles a minute.

I'd set it so it comes on 2 hours before lights on and 2 hours before lights off, that way CO2 levels can reach 30PPM prior to lights on. I can't see 30BPM being a problem on a tank this size, but I'd still air on the side of caution, but that's just me :)

I've now added a powerhead to my tank and any bubbles of CO2 that come out of the top of the ladder get sucked in then blasted around the tank. The drop checkers are showing a slightly more green tinge than the blue they have been showing when they first went into the tank and thats following a 50% water change on Saturday.

The dwarf hairgrass i have has burst into life since i scattered about 8 plants around the substrate, with dozens of new bright green shoots appearing. I also ditched the 2nd Amazon sword on the right hand side of my tank, it just didnt look right in my eyes and gives me room for a few other types of mid tank plant. It also gives me space to snip and replant the Hygrophila Polysperma in the back right corner of the tank, which grows really well.

I've been doing some reading into ferts and i think im going to order a bottle of TPN+ and dose that as recommended.

Im not certain i want to put a huge amount of work into plant growth at this stage so keeping it simple is key for now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back