Tank change help!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jess813

Reaction score
So I have 10 Cory's 2 larger mollies and a baby molly 3 while sucker fish and a other sucker fish I'm changing my tank to sand I have a 10 gallon tank can I put the fish in there until the sand settles I'm in way over my head someone help

Hi! First off, welcome! Alright let's get started, do you know your waters general hardness? You can find it by looking up something like "City XYZ water parameters", this is vital. We might need some pictures of your sucker fish to properly identify it, but I'm going to assume it's a common pleco, you are going to have to return these guys, sorry. They get massive (20ish inches fully grown!) and poop a ton which is no good for such a small tank. Would also love pictures of all your other fish so we can help identify them all. Do you happen to own a water test kit? If not I would recommend getting the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, it may be a little pricey but is definitely worth it. Once you answer these questions I've got a couple more ;). We will get you sorted out, try not to worry!

@HoldenOn pretty much covered everything I was going to ask. Will you please upload a picture of the “sucker fish”?

I have 3 albino bristlenose and one rubber nose I got them because I was told they stay small I can't find anything on the water parameters I have two albinos two green to Julius two spotted and two Panda Cory's two orange and black platys one Dalmatian Molly and one white Molly and a baby black Molly from a Molly that I had previously that spawned babies he's the only one left I'm going to PetSmart tomorrow to get the water tested but it looks like I have fungus growing in the bottom from overfeeding so I would like to change it as soon as possible and put sand in the bottom and other things that help Corey's feel more at home

I have 3 albino bristlenose and one rubber nose I got them because I was told they stay small I can't find anything on the water parameters I have two albinos two green to Julius two spotted and two Panda Cory's two orange and black platys one Dalmatian Molly and one white Molly and a baby black Molly from a Molly that I had previously that spawned babies he's the only one left I'm going to PetSmart tomorrow to get the water tested but it looks like I have fungus growing in the bottom from overfeeding so I would like to change it as soon as possible and put sand in the bottom and other things that help Corey's feel more at home
Ok! Some interesting things right away. You are overstocked my friend, and pretty badly. Did you cycle your tank?

I don't know what type of sand or ho
Ok! Some interesting things right away. You are overstocked my friend, and pretty badly. Did you cycle your tank?
Yeah I figured I was I want a cory tank with a couple other fish I got in way over my head and took pet smarts advice on all of it please tell me I can keep my Cory's one I have had for over 4 years they are my baby there partner died last month ):

My friend said they would take the fish I didn't want in my tank anymore so I have a plan I just don't know how many I need to give them I like them all but I'm very very attached to all my corys

I don't know what type of sand or ho

Yeah I figured I was I want a cory tank with a couple other fish I got in way over my head and took pet smarts advice on all of it please tell me I can keep my Cory's one I have had for over 4 years they are my baby there partner died last month ):
So play sand is the best, specifically Quikrete. In my opinion a 10 gallon is barely enough for corydoras alone. Especially the mix of big and small ones you have. I think returning/rehoming the majority if not all the other fish would be the best course of action. I would wait for a few more members to agree/disagree with me and provide their opinions.

Screenshot_20200908-201740.png
does this help ?

So play sand is the best, specifically Quikrete. In my opinion a 10 gallon is barely enough for corydoras alone. Especially the mix of big and small ones you have. I think returning/rehoming the majority if not all the other fish would be the best course of action. I would wait for a few more members to agree/disagree with me and provide their opinions.
Oh I think I might have typed something wrong I have a 36 gallon tank I have a 10 that I was asking if I could hold them in until I change everything in my 36 gallon to allow the sand to set so I wouldn't hurt them I'm sorry !

Not quite, I think if you scroll down a little it might have some info.

Oh I think I might have typed something wrong I have a 36 gallon tank I have a 10 that I was asking if I could hold them in until I change everything in my 36 gallon to allow the sand to set so I wouldn't hurt them I'm sorry !
Oh! Well this changes a lot! I'm assuming the 36 is cycled. The substrate change is relatively straight forward. Empty about 40% water, net fish and put them in an already set up tank (put the filter you are using for the 36 on the 10). Take out decor and plants and empty the water and substrate. Give the tank a nice wipe with paper towels (don't use windex or anything), and prepare your new substrate. For a 36 I'd recommend 2 bags of Quikrete play sand. Its a bit overkill but will let you have what you need, and ensure you have enough after washing. The next part is super important, you need to clean the sand. A lot of times the sand is really dusty. When you go to get the sand (or if you already have one) get a nice big bucket (rinse it out first) and pour the sand in. Then swirl it around and run the water through it till the water is pretty clear. Put the substrate and decor/plants in and then fill and add fish. You are set.

None of those are exactly what we are looking for, however I found the values of the big cities in New Mexico myself. You don't have to disclose your city, but do you see it there?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 8.27.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 8.27.52 PM.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 113

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back