Tank Adaptations...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

NannaLou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I know lots of people on here make their own tanks (including out of wood ?)

Iā€™m certainly not at that level but wondered if I might be able to add a ā€œshelfā€ so I could keep the leaves of a houseplant above the waterline and the roots below? Iā€™ve been looking at loads of YouTube videos of people using this type of planting method but they are using plastic shower caddies and all sorts of other things to keep them suspended, or building huge piles of rocks and wood which will really reduce the water volume.

Iā€™m thinking about a 3 or 4 inch square of glass stuck into a corner, maybe with 1 inch high ā€œwallsā€ on the two open sides. Any thoughts or experiences. I think the water would help support the weight - but it wouldnā€™t be much?

Would I just stick it where I want it with silicone? Is all silicone fish friendly..?

I would get proper aquarium silicone, from a pet store or online. I know it takes 24 hrs to properly set. And it is something that could be removed with a blade. It could work? I am not really a handy person, so I usually look for ready built solutions.
I know they sell aquarium pots attached to suction cups, to hold plants and soil higher on the glass.

@Circus - thank you, I havenā€™t seen any ā€˜aquarium purposeā€˜ items on the videos ? Iā€™ll have a look!

I say that as I wouldn't know what other kinds of silicone do or don't release other chemicals into the water. Aqueon sells the same sealant they use for their tanks.

Sealants made for house use often contain anti mould chemicals and these are harmful to fish. Sealants made for aquarium use don't contain these chemicals, but they are more expensive just because they are labelled for aquarium use. Some of the household sealants don't contain them, but you have to read what's written on the tube carefully to find out (and usually with a magnifying glass!)
Sealants do need time to cure, from 24 hours to a few days.

Thank you all, I havenā€™t got the tank yet (arriving at the weekend ?).

Iā€™m in the middle of the planning stage and losing hours looking at plants, youtube videos etc. Iā€™ll definitely look at pre-made items with the suction cups now I know such an item exists (thank you @Circus).

Ive got so much ā€œstuffā€ swilling around in my head...need to get it in some sort of order...I know there will be more questions yet ?

Iā€™m thinking about a 3 or 4 inch square of glass stuck into a corner, maybe with 1 inch high ā€œwallsā€ on the two open sides. Any thoughts or experiences. I think the water would help support the weight - but it wouldnā€™t be much?

Would I just stick it where I want it with silicone? Is all silicone fish friendly..?
That should work just fine. As others have mentioned, be sure you use fish-safe silicone, and give it several days to cure, just to be safe. (If there's the slightest hint of vinegar smell, it isn't cured yet) You could probably skip the 1" high walls and just set a small planter pot on the shelf. Or, instead of glass, use some sort of perforated plastic (nothing specific is coming to me; haven't had my morning tea yet) so the roots can grow through...you've got me thinking...

For plants, I'd recommend trying pothos/devil's ivy. Rachel O'Leary once put some in one of her tanks, and she said that it sucked up so much nitrate that all of her algae died! This was a bummer for her, but it would be great for most of us!

That should work just fine. As others have mentioned, be sure you use fish-safe silicone, and give it several days to cure, just to be safe. (If there's the slightest hint of vinegar smell, it isn't cured yet) You could probably skip the 1" high walls and just set a small planter pot on the shelf. Or, instead of glass, use some sort of perforated plastic (nothing specific is coming to me; haven't had my morning tea yet) so the roots can grow through...you've got me thinking...

For plants, I'd recommend trying pothos/devil's ivy. Rachel O'Leary once put some in one of her tanks, and she said that it sucked up so much nitrate that all of her algae died! This was a bummer for her, but it would be great for most of us!
Iā€™m planning a low tech, no chemical project :)

From my reading Pathos and peace lilies will make very short work of nitrates...itā€™s all very exciting ?

Most reactions

Back