Tanganyikan Water Help Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

doresy

Sometimes Right, Sometimes Wrong but ALWAYS certai
Reaction score
Hi, having had good success with my Rio 125 Tanganyikan set-up I am looking to make it better.

Due to weight issues I have it full of hollow artificial rock which the fish absolutely love exploring but does squat for the PH situation.

My problem is the PH level. I am in a reasonably hard water area but the best PH I can achieve so far is 7.6

I have real (ie. not coated) black gravel which I was going to change (and still might) to coral gravel/sand but I am afraid that my poop-machine pleco will make that look pants!

Anyway, I have a bag of marine gravel in the filter and have introduced several large barnacle shells to the tank (will be adding more) in an attempt to raise it. Any other suggestions decoration wise?

Now then, I know there are additives (hate that word) to raise the PH and as we know Tanganyika's require stability more than anything else which is why I do very regular but small partial water changes rather the large ones.

Also I know there is a question over iodine too for colour enhancement. I mention this as my Neolamprologus leleupi seem to have dulled in colour a bit but are otherwise healthy and feeding well. (and egg laying again I suspect)

So is there a qualified suggestion/plan out there regarding raising PH to a stable 8.2 and info on the iodine (food) source?

Thanks.....check back later (still job hunting :rolleyes: )

Hi, having had good success with my Rio 125 Tanganyikan set-up I am looking to make it better.

Due to weight issues I have it full of hollow artificial rock which the fish absolutely love exploring but does squat for the PH situation.

My problem is the PH level. I am in a reasonably hard water area but the best PH I can achieve so far is 7.6

I have real (ie. not coated) black gravel which I was going to change (and still might) to coral gravel/sand but I am afraid that my poop-machine pleco will make that look pants!

Anyway, I have a bag of marine gravel in the filter and have introduced several large barnacle shells to the tank (will be adding more) in an attempt to raise it. Any other suggestions decoration wise?

Now then, I know there are additives (hate that word) to raise the PH and as we know Tanganyika's require stability more than anything else which is why I do very regular but small partial water changes rather the large ones.

Also I know there is a question over iodine too for colour enhancement. I mention this as my Neolamprologus leleupi seem to have dulled in colour a bit but are otherwise healthy and feeding well. (and egg laying again I suspect)

So is there a qualified suggestion/plan out there regarding raising PH to a stable 8.2 and info on the iodine (food) source?

Thanks.....check back later (still job hunting :rolleyes: )
Have you tried any baking soda? Thats what I was told to do to bring my water up, its alot cheaper than buffer, and all that stuff, and all my fishies are sure happy

I would add some more coral rubble or shell to the filter. That will stabilise the PH better than adding bicarb. Otherwise use a rift lake water conditioner and that will raise the GH and PH.
If you are keeping captive bred fishes then you don't really have to raise the PH much more than what it is.

Don't add iodine to the tank or the fish's diet. Just feed them a varied diet and they will get plenty of nutrition from that. If you want to use an additive, then use a vitamin mineral supplement and feed some foods that are rich in beta carotene (pumpkin, apricots, etc).

There are tangs that are affected by iodine. I know I've read that. They do need some. I'd read on cichlid forum regarding the matter...I don't think there's anything that talks about it on this forum.

:good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back