Tanganyikan Killifish With Tanganyikan Cichlids?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CoryFever

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Would it be ok to keep Lamprichthys tanganicanus with your average cichlids? I love their color and bluish sheen. They will be potentially kept with julies, chalinochromis, cyprichromis, and shell dwellers. 40 gallon breeder tank.

I think they me be too peaceful compared to the others.  It's always a gamble with African cichlids.  I have a juli that will kill any other juli I put in his tank and other people have multiple julies in a tank.

40 gal might be too small. Lamprichthys tanganicanus are schooling fish so you would need 6-12 minimum. They are also very active an some say they should be in 60gal +.

Once Julie's pair up like other cave dwellers they won't tolerate others in their species. Shell dwellers like occelatus will be fine, they will fight for Territories and females so make sure they have enought shells and room ( think I read somewhere 6 inch squared space per male. Also females are ok untill they have eggs)

Also cyps need 55gal+ for non jumbo, and need to be in groups of 12 + . (I currently have 9 looking to get 3 more soon. NOTE: they aren't cheap fish start from £11 each )

chalinochromis if you are thinking chalinochromis brichardi need 50 gal also.

Also all these fish will do best with sand substrate and you will need enough rock to create territories for each fish that needs them plus some extra hiding spots for the open water skimmers that will need protection from aggression as pretty much all tangs are aggressive in some degree

So to answer your question yes they can and have been but you need the right conditions. Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks for the help baker. The Chalinochromis are ndobhoi.

CoryFever said:
Thanks for the help baker. The Chalinochromis are ndobhoi.
No problem. Not familiar with ndobhoi, it looks nice.

I would strongly suggest that you check out cichlid-forum.com they have some very good info on there including a part where you can look at set up recommendations for your tank size. Link http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_40g.php

This is for 40g tank

Also they have a pretty good species profile tab http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/

As a forum don't expect any replies soon. This site is 10x faster for replies to your posts.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back