Tanganikans In Low Ph Water?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

One_Trick_Pony

Steals the show
Reaction score
Dear all,

Having finally got my tank set up, I have tested the pH and been remind that Manchester water has a low ph - my tank water is testing at 6.6 -

I am keen to keep:
Neolamprlogus Multifasticus (or brevis if I cant find the mutlies)
Julie Dickfeldi
Paracyps Nignnis

(i have had Neolamp. Bricardi bred before in manchester water....)

what are my options, I'd rather avoid chemical methods of increasing as i guess this will lead to an up and down of pH, - or is this method quite easy

will the fish adapt? will buying locally bred fish (if I can find them) help?

Would a couple of 'bags' (read old tights) of coral side in the filter / tank help?

Any thoghts greatly appricated (eitehr on the pH issue or sources of these fish breed in local conditions...)
thanks,

OTP

ps i am happy with my aquascaping, so would rather avoid cahnging to all coral sand and/or limeston rocks if it could be helped.

Well, if you don't want to change to coral sand or limestone, the only options you'll have are crushed coral in your filter (this raises slowly but does work) or adding a buffer at every water change.

If tank bred they may adapt to your ph, they will most likely be more susceptible to disease though. Lake Tangs are a bit more picly about water parameters than mbuna, but even mbuna really need a higher ph to thrive. :good:

Thanks,

The Chichlid forum buffer recipe is said to be stable and easy, and buffering at each water change makes it a bit more "interactive"

The best thing to do is use coral for your rock. It will keep the tank right about where you want the ph with no artificial additives or help from any products. I have keep tanganyikans for years and years and the fish always thrive. In fact I have just discovered the julidochromis ornatus I have are breeding in my 135 gallon tank with about 100 lb's of coral in it. I add nothing to my tanks. As far as local breeders, I have found they are usually the best source, unless you want to get wild caught in which case that can be very expensive. As far as adapting, I use to work in a fish store, we never added anything to adjust ph in the fresh water tanks. They will most likely adapt just fine, but I wouldn't expect them to readily breed and it may stunt their size.

(tanganyikans rule by the way)

Never mind the water i am simply being priced out of this

i have been a northwest shop tour today, £8-£11for variosu shellies, vs $4.50 in the US - i should be used to this by now, but sadly i am being priced out of my dream Tnag tank...

i mean 3 shellies, 2 calvus, 2 julis was coming in at £60, and thast not buyign and "extras" requiered to help ensure a pair....

I'm sorry to hear that, have you looked into ordering them. You get much better prices, just have to watch the shipping.

I had a look but wasn’t actually able to find many UK mail order sites, and those I did were also coming out at a similar price, I keep an eye on aquarist classified as well but they don’t seem much cheaper on there, I guess it’s just a matter of catching that site on the right day,

- I missed the BCA and NWCA auctions that were both very nearby unfortunately as they might have been a good help. I have contacted a couple of their members and been put in touch with a breeder, but he also wasn’t so cheap, – that said I know the set up and maintenance cost of a breeding set up like he had much be huge I don’t begrudge him anything. And he was a pound or so below the stores

given I know my water is not ideal I am loath to spend so much knowing a small mistake from me in buffering or some such could be the end of them. Taking in account that the tank at 40Gal, isn’t that huge

- all that said I did have one Neo Lamp Bricardi pair spawn once in this same water (well at a house down the road) so maybe they will acclimatise..... (They are probably my favourite species but was hoping to go for a more of a mix in shape and behaviour then a species tank....)

Hiya , I totally agree with you about the pricing , I have bought , cichlid sand , coral rock , aragonite coral sand. The only place I can source Tangs is an hour away on train (1way) , £6.00 for neolamprologus multifasciatus, its the only tangs they do...
tropical fish finder such as wildwoods charge p&p , don't really fancy them arriving in the post , trimar have an awesome selection with some unusual stock as well 15 quid postage or 20 quid for my postcode , Im not that far from the central belt either (bloody fuel costs),,,, but to get back to the point I have seen tons of tangs in the U.S. for a couple of bucks but a juli here costs between 5 to 8 quid and most other tangs about 8 quid, not having a grumble , just saying that i see your point, ...
Why not just take it slow , buy something for the tank each week or every other week....?
At the moment im doing the same , one week bought some coral sand , next week a couple of rocks, two weeks later ordered some shells , ti be honest it adds to the exciment..................

Kiriyama,

the tank is set and good to go, now housing 2 goramis and some harlequins so I have something pretty to look at and to ensure the tank stays cycled.

i assume it best to add all of one species to the tank at once but your right, these stores are not toooo far away so maybe a species at a time would work, that said 6 brevis or multis to give a solid chance of a pair still comes to a massive £47 at the store in question,

but yes your right, thanks for the sympathy!

I will continue to watch aquarist classified and hopefully attend the local cichlid association meets and maybe be able to pick up Juvies this way.

Like I said the tank is stock with something and looks nice enough, and there is now no damage of the filter dying off, since I have to move in March I am may now just wait and try and cultivate sources and contacts.

I shouldn’t let prices between US and UK surprised me these days

And if any breeders do see this please drop me a PM!

OTP

Hi, does your tap water read at 6.6 as well?

Do you live on a peat bog or something :X

You don't have bogwood in your tank do you?

I changed my set up (see below) to coral sand as I have artificial rock and our water comes in at 7.0 on draught. With the coral sand it keeps at a constant 7.8 'ish which is better. Using buffers at water changing time can be a little tricky as you want to avoid the levels fluctuating too much (or at all really)

With you on the pricing :( as Brit's we are constantly being shafted compared to the USA but what's new! :S

On my tang tank i have crushed coral in the filter-just chippings off a smashed ocean rock really :)
and i also have clumps of ocean rock inbetween the tank bottom glass and my stone, i have a ph of 8.0 now

The best thing to do if your tap water is acidic is to use a cichlid buffer at every water change, because, even though you can get your tank at 8.0 with coral sand, the fish may get stressed out when a ph of 6 or 7 is added, that is a pretty drastic change, like you being stored in -1,000,000,000 degrees celcius and then tossed into boiling water, the ammount between each step in ph is HUGE!

There was bog wood in the tnak at the time, i must test again, and a bag or two of crushed coral in the filter and hidden behind rocks cant hurt, i guess i could use a vat to prepare each waetr cahnge and leaeve a few bags in there and fill it up again after each change?

I agree with Adandrews. You will need to buffer the water with each water change. That is on any sizable water change. The difference in ph is alot. You can use baking soda and epsom salts and aquarium salt to raise the Ph, kh and gh. Baking soda will max out at a ph of around 8.2. I would also keep crushed coral( it will act as a biological media as well, in the filters or you can use any limestone based rock to help buffer the water as well.

i guess it was the bog wood, tap water test out at around an even 7, so thast good news! now to soruce the breeders!

Most reactions

trending

Back