Talking Catfishes And Breading

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shadow1200

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello yesterday i ought my first talking catfish. The shop tryied to sell my a upside down catfish and told me it was a talking catfish but then i went else were and found 1 .

I have a few questions about them

1.how do you tell male and females apart ?

2. Have any 1 on here ever bred them ?

3. Why do shops never have them ? ive been to the biggest aquatic shop in wales and they had 1 left. which i bought

4. I heard you need sand to bread them ? is this true ?

Be for i put the catfish in my tank it looked like he / she had a flap under them would this mean its a girl ?
sex education :lol:

Thanks in advance

1: I don't think there's any way of sexing these fish, except that femals will be broader than males when veiwed from above

2; I haven't; I personally (depsite a few 'how to's on the net, like here; http://www.ehow.com/how_4510100_breed-talking-catfish.html) don't think it's possibe in captivity without the use of hormones

3: I don't know; my LFS often has them in; maybe because they're hard to breed? :lol:

4; I have no idea; I keep mine on gravel and they seem perfectly happy.

I don't like the sound of the fish having a 'flap' on its underside one little bit. I doubt very much that it's anything to do with the sex; sounds more like an injury...

1: I don't think there's any way of sexing these fish, except that femals will be broader than males when veiwed from above

2; I haven't; I personally (depsite a few 'how to's on the net, like here; http://www.ehow.com/how_4510100_breed-talking-catfish.html) don't think it's possibe in captivity without the use of hormones

3: I don't know; my LFS often has them in; maybe because they're hard to breed? :lol:

4; I have no idea; I keep mine on gravel and they seem perfectly happy.

I don't like the sound of the fish having a 'flap' on its underside one little bit. I doubt very much that it's anything to do with the sex; sounds more like an injury...

How do they eat ? like do they suck glass like other catfish or bog wood ? or do they just live on tablets ?
I do have fry in the tank since ive got him so maybe he will have a meat feast :hey:

shadow1200,
I have two talking cats when you do see them eat, mine occasionally come out for cat fish pellets and years ago I used to feed them on catfish tablets but the greedy so and so used to swallow them whole with a real struggle so I stopped giving them to them,also an occasional small piece of potatoe peel once a month as a treat
TC :cool:

Striped or spotted raphael? I very rarely see either of mine but the spotted one always seem to be bloated. Never see either of them feed and hardly ever see them wherever they're hiding. I only see them when i remove everything from the tank. lol.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back