Talking Catfish Not Eating

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shadow1200

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been saving my money and finally i bought a talking catfish for my 4ft tank.
He / she seems not to be eating its been in my tank for 2 days i have sat there all night and day and watched i have tried flakes but nothing works.
I have seen with common plecs they have the mouth to suck if that makes sence there mouth is under them..
But with talking catfish they look like there mouth is for eating things and not sucking on glass etc.

i guess talking catfish don't eat algae off things ? because mine ent
Thanks do not want him to die

Is it a striped or a spotted? Not that it makes much difference ;)

These fish don't eat very often it seems; I've never seen my spotted eat anything at all and I've had it about 12 years! They do seem to gorge and then not eat for ages; I feed mine only two or three times a week now.

Try and get some proper catfish pellets rather than flake (the JMC ones semm to be irresistable to most fish if you can get them where you are) and try and drop them near it's home as it might be feeling a bit shy.

I'm sure it won't starve itself to death, so don't start panicing for a week or two yet!

first of all keeping just the one is part of the issue, these are a shy inactive fish at the best of times, but keeping one on its own is only intensifying this behaviour,

As for feeding, if you want to see them feed then the best time to attempt this is about 11pm, or late in the evening after the lights have been out a few hours, start by dropping in a small amount of bloodworm and a few pellets and wait for a reaction, be warned though that it will probably take a few weeks before it fully acclimatises to its new home

first of all keeping just the one is part of the issue, these are a shy inactive fish at the best of times, but keeping one on its own is only intensifying this behaviour,

As for feeding, if you want to see them feed then the best time to attempt this is about 11pm, or late in the evening after the lights have been out a few hours, start by dropping in a small amount of bloodworm and a few pellets and wait for a reaction, be warned though that it will probably take a few weeks before it fully acclimatises to its new home

So its best to have 2 ? or ? i was gonna get to but the shop were i got him from only had the 1 and they said they don't usually stock them. It toke me weeks to find one i was going to the shop 1ce a week 1 day after delivery day. I did ask them to order me 1 in but said they only order what they need.

when i got him yesterday they said they never had none but found 1 in there massive tank hiding .

Do you think i could have 2 in a 4ft tank ?

There the most amazingst looking fish ever there spikes ( or what ever you call them ) coming out of the side of there body.

1 question every 1 haven't answered for me is do they suck glass and wood etc ?

So its best to have 2 ? or ? i was gonna get to but the shop were i got him from only had the 1 and they said they don't usually stock them. It toke me weeks to find one i was going to the shop 1ce a week 1 day after delivery day. I did ask them to order me 1 in but said they only order what they need.

when i got him yesterday they said they never had none but found 1 in there massive tank hiding .

There the most amazingst looking fish ever there spikes ( or what ever you call them ) coming out of the side of there body.

They are best kept in a group, (there are very few fish that are best kept in a 2 and when people say don't keep them alone they mean keep them in a group or a shoal)

tbh a lot of places have them but because they hide so well they are often forgot about, at work theres always a few to be found somewhere,
Also with regard to them only ordering what they need if you ask for it then they need it, otherwise they are just turning away customers which is not in any businesses interests,

as said above are they the spotted raphaels or the striped raphael or something else?
what is the full dimensions of the 4ft tank?

No they are not plecs so don't suck glass

They are best kept in a group, (there are very few fish that are best kept in a 2 and when people say don't keep them alone they mean keep them in a group or a shoal)

tbh a lot of places have them but because they hide so well they are often forgot about, at work theres always a few to be found somewhere,
Also with regard to them only ordering what they need if you ask for it then they need it, otherwise they are just turning away customers which is not in any businesses interests,

as said above are they the spotted raphaels or the striped raphael or something else?
what is the full dimensions of the 4ft tank?

No they are not plecs so don't suck glass

http://www.gardenandleisure.com/products/rena_aqualife_panorama120.html

That is my tank so

Length 121cm
Width 51cm
Tank Height 55.5cm
Volume 340 litres

How do they eat then ? If some people don't buy them tablets / flakes how would they eat ?

they aren't fussy and will eat anything you feed, best to get a catfish pellet and then mix in other foods

they aren't fussy and will eat anything you feed, best to get a catfish pellet and then mix in other foods
I have put a pellet in or wafer what ever you call it that sinks he came out of his turnel and went for it but then he stooped when it hit the ground ..
Do you think i could have 2 in my tank ? link is above ...
I will drop another pellet in at night when its dark hopfully he will take it if the one i droped in ent gone

Try some tetra prima. I have talking, banjo, hoplo, upside down and cories. They all go mad for it.

You could have a few in a 340L
how manys a few ? lol i have guppies ( about 10 ) 1 red fin shark a silver shark and a little tinny albino plec
That's why i said only 2 cus when the albino grows it will be big . But by that time ill have a 6 - 8 ft tank

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back