Taking in unwanted fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So this weekend I am going to pick up an occupied tank. The owner of this tank got quite the surprise. This is how it happened.

A friend of my mother did one of those auctions, where people buy the contents of an abandoned storage unit. Tucked into the back of the unit was a fish tank, with live fish in it. She was going to flush them and sell the tank and stand. I told her I would buy it for $10. All I know is that it is a small tank with 4 fish in. And the pics I was sent. I figured I would do a couple of small water changes to help with any catch up, but I also don't want to shock them with the change to my water compared to what they are used to. Any advice? Or possible identification on the fish? The tank looks pretty dirty. I think it is 2 dwarf gourami and 2 cardinal tetra. Not sure.

I plan on siphoning most of the water into buckets, placing the fish in one of said buckets, transporting tank and fish to my place, setting it back up, doing small water change, placing fish and water back into tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20200730_122457.jpg
    IMG_20200730_122457.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20200730_122506.jpg
    IMG_20200730_122506.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20200730_122513.jpg
    IMG_20200730_122513.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 157
So this weekend I am going to pick up an occupied tank. The owner of this tank got quite the surprise. This is how it happened.

A friend of my mother did one of those auctions, where people buy the contents of an abandoned storage unit. Tucked into the back of the unit was a fish tank, with live fish in it. She was going to flush them and sell the tank and stand. I told her I would buy it for $10. All I know is that it is a small tank with 4 fish in. And the pics I was sent. I figured I would do a couple of small water changes to help with any catch up, but I also don't want to shock them with the change to my water compared to what they are used to. Any advice? Or possible identification on the fish? The tank looks pretty dirty. I think it is 2 dwarf gourami and 2 cardinal tetra. Not sure.

I plan on siphoning most of the water into buckets, placing the fish in one of said buckets, transporting tank and fish to my place, setting it back up, doing small water change, placing fish and water back into tank.
There is definitely a DG in there. Need clearer pics tho

Yes, tough call for those fish. We need clearer pictures, once you get the water clear.

Keep it up with the water changes - the glass also looks really dirty. You can wipe that down with a sponge. (One that has never been near soap or chemicals)

Oh my lord..... That is just cruel keeping the fish in small numbers (neons) and dwarfs and in a small tank. And they were about to get flushed alive??? :no:

I
Yes, tough call for those fish. We need clearer pictures, once you get the water clear.

Keep it up with the water changes - the glass also looks really dirty. You can wipe that down with a sponge. (One that has never been near soap or chemicals)
I don't actually have the tank yet. Tomorrow is when I will be able to pick it up. Does the transport process sound okay? I have never moved fish in anything other than the bags they give you at the pet store. Is there anything I should be concerned about when moving them?

I
I don't actually have the tank yet. Tomorrow is when I will be able to pick it up. Does the transport process sound okay? I have never moved fish in anything other than the bags they give you at the pet store. Is there anything I should be concerned about when moving them?
Do you have an empty cycled tank? If you do I would just drop acclimate them into a fresh tank.

And yeah the transport plan sounds okay

I
I think that's the best plan. I was going to say just add new water, but its not cycled. Do you have a better operated air pump/air stone? (If you have a super generator, you can just use plug-in one)

Make sure you have a lid on the bucket.

Oh my lord..... That is just cruel keeping the fish in small numbers (neons) and dwarfs and in a small tank. And they were about to get flushed alive??? :no:
Yeah, not a great situation all around. I was thinking one of the gourami(?) could go into my 29 gal community for now. I have another 29 gal cycling right now so the other could go in there once it is ready. I figure I could increase the smaller fish to 6 or 8, or see if the lfs will take them.

If you intend to keep the tank, make sure it is completely empty before moving it. If any water is left in it will slosh around during transport which will twist the tank and weaken the seams.
Fish in covered buckets is fine, you can even use something like old towels to cover the buckets.

Keep them in a darkish place for a while after you move them as they won't have seen the light for ages,.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back