Taking Great Fish Photos (How To)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
great i have just taking a few pictures following your steps thanks

i love that background.  were did you find something like that?

Cian McLiam said:
Here is an example pic where I used the leaf of the plant below the unsuspecting Apisto male to lock the focus. As soon as he came along, snap, I got him!
In this photo I have used optical zoom and a large-ish aperature to put the plants behind him out of focus.
He is shaped just like my Bolivian Rams, but his colors and markings are much more beautiful!!
gaz gun man said:
few of mine;

tankafter.jpg

sterbai.jpg

DSC_3707.jpg

DSC_3708.jpg

DSC_3709.jpg

DSC_6652.jpg
You have fantastic taste in fish! You have my favorite type of cory, gourami that I would get if my tank was bigger, and zebra danios. I think those are all really good-looking fish. I bet they look great together in your tank.

These are great tips!!  Thank you!!  As soon as my tank finishes its fishless cycle, I'll get some beauties in there to photo!  :D

I know I'm digging up this post from a while ago however I wonder if anyone could help me out? Im going nuts!
sad2.gif

I really want to take sharp photos of my different Tetras and Corys however whenever I try to take a photo it is streaky due to the fishes movements and when i change the shutter speed to stop the streakiness the photo is too dark! 

What should I do?? Thanks in advance 
thanks.gif

fishmad135 said:
I know I'm digging up this post from a while ago however I wonder if anyone could help me out? Im going nuts!
sad2.gif

I really want to take sharp photos of my different Tetras and Corys however whenever I try to take a photo it is streaky due to the fishes movements and when i change the shutter speed to stop the streakiness the photo is too dark! 

What should I do?? Thanks in advance 
thanks.gif
Well if the they are showing up like that it means there isnt enough light present, the best thing would to do would take off your lids, maybe add some more lights on top for the time being and clean your glass, the more light there is the less time the shutter has to be open to expose itself to light.

Ive been having this same problem lately, my tank has tannins and is 2ft deep so the light isnt always good, and if the fish are to far back then i cant get a good shot, ive been using flash sometimes and it makes it very brown but it gets the fish lol
This is without flash after a tank cleaning and heres some tannins with flash.

Now if my tank would just stay clear thatd be awesome, but mopani wood leeches freaking forever. 

I love the little geophagus!! I am glad to see someone else enjoys pearl gouramis, I believe that they are the prettiest of gouramis. I was blown away this guy had no idea what a congo tetra was.

These classic fish in the trade are so under appreciated. Everyone wants these crazy hybrids or glolight fish. I'm not dissing hybrids I enjoy my electric blue acaras. I just enjoy the basic beauty of these fish!

Sterbai are my favorite corys! I love their little pop of orange! Great picture of him. I have 17 corys total, and my five sterbai hang out in the back half of the tank, where the others all hang out together. I mean albinos, emeralds, julis, and my pandas all will sleep together. I started with two sterbai, added another he went straight to the other two, then bought two more and they went right to the other three. Total snobs, but I love them.

Thank you for posting this thread. I'm going to take so many pics now! I currently dont have a camera so I cant take pro pics yet, but I was taking pics with my cell phone and nothing was showing up clear. After reading this I turned off my room lights and turned on my flash, angling my phone down and now can actually get a pic of my new friends. Of course when I get a legit camera my pics will be even better. Thanks for helping an amateur. Here is a couple pics I just took of goku. He's so cute. I know they are not the best, but hey you can actually see him.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-03-14-21-12-52.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-14-21-12-52.png
    536.4 KB · Views: 350
  • Screenshot_2018-03-14-21-16-20.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-14-21-16-20.png
    485.3 KB · Views: 333
I either......

1. Wait until my fish is just drifting, and then I snap away and choose the best one.
  2. Take a video, and then choose the best frame a screen shoot it!!
Here are some good pictures I got, useing this method. :)0FACDE97-31BE-4482-A6B6-2077758ECC80.jpeg

Attachments

• F3A77D24-F0C7-4561-821F-F04DC598FA7C.jpeg
    F3A77D24-F0C7-4561-821F-F04DC598FA7C.jpeg
    711.1 KB · Views: 248
Here are some more....

Attachments

• 16083FDA-F090-4973-A0D4-78BB14C323D9.jpeg
    16083FDA-F090-4973-A0D4-78BB14C323D9.jpeg
    760.1 KB · Views: 262
Wow! I am such an amateur at taking pictures of my fish. I see now that a heck of a lot goes into it and it's not just luck that gives you a good picture. I swear my fish know when I am trying to take a picture so they sit still when I don't have my camera but then excitedly swim about when I do.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back