Taking Great Fish Photos (How To)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
i know this is kinda an older thread...but i figured id throw in a few shots i took of my RBP today!

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

can anybody suggest a good camera that has the features i need for taking good fish pictures?

I could possibly spend £150

Here are some pictures that we took with our Kodak EasyShare CX7300. What can we do to make them clearer?

Picture056.jpg

Picture053.jpg

Picture057.jpg

I was just wondering (as my hobbies are photography and now fishkeeping) if the flash from my camera would upset or cause any stress to my fish as obviously I wouldn't want this to happen especially as they are currently recovering from the stress of cycling the tank that I've put them under. :(

its always worked for me to up my ISO no flash and use manual focus....
depending on the size of the fish on weather or not i use macro...
with my bettas i use my 80-300mm lens and sit on the sofa and snap....
with the guppies i find it easier to use a smaller lense (normally my 18-55mm)
and macro mode...

to get the best result in pics i always prefere a low depth of field....

:hyper: i cant wait to start taking some fishy photos now too!!! thanks ken!!

but i also am a little worried -will the flash of my camera upset my fish? i have been told it will damage the eye site of my fire bellied toads and they need sharp vision for hunting.

thanks!!

Excellent info. Has answered a lot of questions for me.

A couple of questions I still have.

When using my flash it washes out alot of colouring particularly Irridesent colours. Blue specifically. Is this the exposure.

When I don't use the flash any movement is massively blurred. Is this because I have a rubbish camera or am I missing something.

Please excuss my lack of knowledge. Photography is not one of my skills. I would like it to be though.

I know i am new, and i know i am grave digging this topic, however, i would like to add a few more things to Kens list.

The first is that taking a pic with the flash on is a big no no. No matter what, it will disorientate the colour of your tank, and usually destroy the effect, so i would say, no flash.

Second. When you take a pic, focus on an area that is either, really bright, or semi dark. Never do both. The light will in effect, take over from the darker areas, and your picture will suffer. The camera is not like our eyes, it can not distinct between dark and light, it will only take what is the strongest and go from there.

Third. When taking a photo, i find that the best shots are always taken at night when there is little to no light in the room besides that of your tank. This means that there will be nothing to distract from the focus of the shot. :)

Fourth. When taking a shot from below up, the reflection of the light on the surface of the water is again, enough to destroy an amazing shot, try to change position so that you get as little of the light in as possible.

Fith. If you are having problems with the glass reflecting your image without the flash on, do not be afraid to get the lens of the camera right next to the glass so that it is touching it. This will limit the amount of reflection and increase the focus of your picture...

Hope you are able to make sense of all of that and that it helps :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back