Taking Great Fish Photos (How To)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
hi ken thanks for the advice, i have had right trouble taking pictures of my fish, it was realy starting to do my head in untill i read your pin.
anyway here are some pictures which i have tried out with my new information.
thanks

fighter

fighter_blue.JPG

fighter

forum_2.JPG

I don't know if anyone has says this, but try to save as .png. It's the same size I believe, and you lose alot of quality with .jpg.

I thought i would add some pictures that ive taken with my Canon EOS 350D, and give some information on what settings i used for the pictures.

RAW+ Images
Av - 8.0
Tv - 125
ISO - 400
WBA - Custom (None)

The following pictures have been shrunk to about 10% of original size to be internet friendly:

Corys.JPG

Dempsey.JPG
Firemouth.JPG

GreenTerror.JPG
Sajica.JPG

Salvini.JPG
YoyoLoach.JPG

BlueLoach.JPG

@scrappy first, these are great pics, they are a credit to you.
second. if you shrank the pics by 10% it would make the displayed image about 400kb expanded. thought the eos 350 had a better resolution than that!!! ok just checked its far better than that 8mp now my 6mp camera gives file size of around 17mb, bit more than 10% reduction to 499k? forgive me if i have missed something in the settings you give for the d350 i do not know the EOS (in digital form anyway) but i do have a grasp the image resolution's relation to file size

All you guys give great info and i cant wait to get my hands on a DSLR to start taking great pics!! My digital camera has a very slow shutter speed so it takes crap pics!! Thinking bout training my fish to pause and smile but might take too long to do!! :D

Any way how do you go about resizing your image to the restrictions that are placed on you by TFF guidelinges for the pics?

Cheers

Craig

All you guys give great info and i cant wait to get my hands on a DSLR to start taking great pics!! My digital camera has a very slow shutter speed so it takes crap pics!! Thinking bout training my fish to pause and smile but might take too long to do!! :D

Any way how do you go about resizing your image to the restrictions that are placed on you by TFF guidelinges for the pics?

Cheers

Craig
this is a good link http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=114969
the only thing i will add is, you will get better quality compression, in JPG, through a more advanced photo editing packedge, than MSpaint. so you will produce a better quality picture, of a smaller size. having said that, this my not be your main concern at the moment. but with a digital SLR i should think it will be soon lol

What the most expensive fish to buy? :unsure:
and sorry i had to post it here but i couldn't find any where else to write my question :nod:
please forgive me!! :/

I use a 4MP Nikon Coolpix. I use AUTO settings . Turn OFF the Flash . Use MACRO mode if the fish are close . and have a EXTENSION TUBE (used for extra lenses) screwed on to the camera and just hold FLUSH with the glass and PRESTO... I think my pics are fairly decent. Any opinions?

A Couple of my fish....
sunny2.jpg

geo1.jpg

shark2.jpg

feb17-2006009.jpg

03_03_06_011.jpg

My Tank... taken with NO FLASH and a tripod (Just after setting up)
aquarium005-1.jpg

At Night with BLUE MOON LED lighting
night_lighting001.jpg

Hi to all the experts, I am a newbie in taking picture. I have read some very useful advice from this thread and put it into practice and last night I have taken some of these pictures.

IMGP0954.jpg

IMGP0955.jpg

And the last one I need some advice in how to improve it, I was focusing this oto from about a feet away, it is at the back of my tank. The oto is a bit not clear, how can I improve? I didn't use flash.

IMGP0958.jpg

Your advice is appreciated.

hi all

i was getting ok-ish pics before reading this post but im getting slightly better now. its hard though as i dont have a fancy cam i only have a kodak easy share cx7330.

ive put one of my newly setup livebearer tank first. at this stage i only have a desk lamp over it until i get a proper light and limited decorations at the moment. originally i was getting pics not even worth trying to touch up however this morning i have managed to get a couple of good ones. nothing close up of a single fish but im getting there ;)

100_1453.jpg

the rest i have taken trying to apply some of the techniques given in this thread

100_1268.jpg

100_1376.jpg

100_1298.jpg

still not great i know but...baby steps :)

and just a few more :)

the first one is one of my pristella teras. these guys are hard to get at the best of times cause theyre always flitting here there and everywhere but every now and again they stop still for a second

100_1279.jpg

100_1404.jpg

100_1185.jpg

and finally...

100_1286.jpg

To resize your pics I use a program called IrfanView that you can get free somewhere on the internet (cant remember where I found it)

It doesn't lose so much quality when you downscale your piccys.

I am also at a loss like others on here, because I think all this advice is great for the peeps with a half decent camera, but for those of us with a £40 Vivicam or something similar (mine is a 4.0 megapixel and always seems to look dark) these tips don't work.

So you have any more tips for the less advanced cameras?

Just with a little change of levels and a simple crop you always get a better image, even though the original wasn't very good, so imagine what you can do with a really good photo, this is only 30 seconds of playing about not much.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back