Taking Fish To Ma

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JT-SCFC-1912

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Has anybody taken any fish to MA, even if they haven't purchased the fish from there?.

Did you get any store credit?

Yes, to two branches. The one where i was known to them I was given credit (around half of the price they would sell for if I remember correctly) and the other where they didn't know me I got no credit.

In both cases, I spoke to them first to make sure they would take the fish, in neither case did I ask for credit.

Call before you take them in... we had to turn away three people today wanting to dump goldfish and livebearers...

Depends what fish you have and whether they are likely to sell. Yes.. the shop will treat your fish like any other goods, they will need to make a profit on them so don't expect much and def don't expect money for them..

Many shops wont take/wont give anything for tetras, livebearers, goldfish etc... cichlids... ehh... depends on shop... but don't expect to make 1/3 of what you bought it for.

Shops have to be shops and make a profit, they aren't rescue shelters and tbh most are cracking down on taking in fish anyway.

Ah right ok, just wondered because wanted to re home a few but only problem is my LFS would take them BUT only give store credit for live stock :s and I Dont't want to add any more fish

Well big chain stores cant give out money... otherwise when it came to cashing up, they would be missing money and people would get accused of stealing. To take money out of the till, whatever is bought needs to come with a receipt and a valid vat number so it can go through head office.

Hence only store credit is given, though unless they specify... store credit can be used on anything, not just fish but dry goods too like food and filter media etc...

JT-SCFC-1912 said:
Ah right ok, just wondered because wanted to re home a few but only problem is my LFS would take them BUT only give store credit for live stock
wacko.png
and I Dont't want to add any more fish
I don't see too much of problem with this though. It highlights the need for people to do proper research before buying pets of any kind.

Too many people buy fish at a whim or don't research properly so they end up with fish that are too big for their tank or just not suitable for what is already in there.

Yes there are times when fish need to be re-homed but these should be few and far between.

JT-SCFC-1912 said:
Ah right ok, just wondered because wanted to re home a few but only problem is my LFS would take them BUT only give store credit for live stock
wacko.png
and I Dont't want to add any more fish
 Maybe it is just me, but I read that as meaning you will get store credit for taking in unwanted fish... So you could buy anything in the shop (plants, decor, food etc.) with the credit note if you did not want to buy more fish.

When I bought my 30 litre hospital tank it came with one clown loach and a 4" gourami (shock horror) I couldn't put the gourami in my tank as I had honeys and my 180 litre certainly isn't big enough to add clowns too. I rang my local MA who thankfully took them off my hands.
They said they couldnt give me anything for them although i am a regular customer but I didn't want money for them, was just grateful they put them in one of their tanks which saved me from the stress of having to find rightful owners.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back