Tail Types?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi! So, I'm going to be getting a betta pretty soon (my very first), and I wanted to know what tail types are the healthiest. I know halfmoons are very prone to fin biting, feathertails and rosetails have many problems with their rays breaking and not being able to swim properly, and veiltails have a tendency to rip their fins.
I was thinking about getting either a round tail, delta tail, or spade tail. I also really like half suns. Do these tail types have any swimming or fin biting issues?
I really want a betta that will be able to enjoy his life and not be held back by an enormous tail that will make him unhealthy. Thanks in advance!

Good thinking! I didn’t know any better when I bought my first 2 males and ended up with 2 rosetails. They look pretty but they aren’t as active or playful as some with shorter tails. I love mine but will never get another rosetail. I did have a spade tail that did just fine. Good luck!

How many gallons is your tank? I would suggest either....

1. A Plakat Male Betta Fish
Or....

A Dumbo Ear/Plakat Male Betta Fish. (In my experience, Dumbo Ear Bettas are less aggressive than some other types. :)

I have a 5 gallon tank. I heard that dumbo ears can't swim very well. Is that true?

Mine swims fine. :)
C23B4E50-F2AD-49C7-A5E6-67507D91D2CE.jpeg

Ok, so I've come to the conclusion that the shorter the fins, the healthier the betta will be. Correct?

Also, I have heard that delta tails don't always have the same fin length. Is that true? Has anyone had any experience with delta tails?

Last edited:
Yes, typically the shorter the fin, the healthier the betta. I have had a couple of delta tales, they where fine for me. :)

Ok, thanks! When I finally get my betta, I'll post what tail type I end up getting. I'm sure he'll be great, whatever tail type he'll be though! :)

Ok! I finally have my betta! He is an absolutely gorgeous ice blue delta tail with a turquoise blue splotch on each side of his body and the base of his tail.
He has a red head and a little bit of red on his bottom lip that makes him look like he is always smiling. He even has some gold scales on his gills and neck. His body and fins shimmer every time he moves and they look like silk fluttering in the wind.
Thank you all for your suggestions and advice!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back