The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lycaena

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
sake is being bad..
first i thought there is something in his tank that is doing it
but....there is just the filter, and plants.
and today...i caught him biting at himself.
is there anything i can do to distract him from biting himself?

sakeshred.jpg

Sorry to hear this, it's so disheartening isn't it? My fish seemed to stop doing this once the 2 frogs I'd put in were removed. But it's something different with each fish, so you'll just have to try lots of things. I put a ping pong ball in and tried mirrored marbles but he ignored both things. Keep the water super clean while he's healing too :good:

yeh. im doing a water change right now and also put some melafix

put a mirror on the outside of the tank permanently (or at least long term). that way he will attack his reflection instead of himself. it works really well for tailbiting. also rearrange the things in his tank. he will have to "explore" it all over again.
and be careful with dosing melafix. only use half dose.
cheers

i tried the mirror thing, and he didnt seem to care at all. i thought hes been pretty happy actually, buildin bubblenest and all
but he DEFINITELY is doing it to himself. i have caught him doing it several times now he curls up and bites his tail
he is on my desk. and always curious about what im doing. i moved plants around, added a plant today too.
AND put a ping pong ball...have not noticed him caring much for that either
*sigh*

i would still leave a mirror attached to the tank and see how it goes over the next few weeks. he might not have "cared" at the time you tried, but maybe when feeling agressive, hed rather take it out on the reflection than himself. he might only use the mirror when the "urge" comes along. just a thought
i also never had a betta play with a ping pong ball. colored marbles are fun for them for about 30 seconds until they decide to ignore it, never to be looked at again. more plants =good, as is the rearrangement of the tank. you could try to make a little slate maze (like a cave with multiple openings) that he can swim thru. that might give him extra stimulation. or try adding a snail or two which he might like to watch or follow...or even flare at. basically, distraction/release of agression is key when dealing with biters, at least IME.
all the best

all good ideas!. i put the mirror back up against his tank, and plopped a snail in there, and he is already flaring at it. also moved his plants around, and added a different one. im gona see about gettin him a terra cotta pot or something to play around in

all good ideas!. i put the mirror back up against his tank, and plopped a snail in there, and he is already flaring at it. also moved his plants around, and added a different one. im gona see about gettin him a terra cotta pot or something to play around in
Terrecota pots are brilliant, my boy alphie just loves to swim through his and sit in it lol! :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back