Tail fin problems

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Malara

Reaction score
Please help! Bought 9 glow light tetras about a 6 weeks ago. About a month in, one of them developed a white spot on the side of his head and died two days later. Nobody else has any spots of any kind, but three are showing some tail fin damage. Are they nipping or is it fin rot? They all still have normal appetite. I also have a bristle-nose pleco and three peppered corys in there and suggested meds need to be safe for them.

Attachments

• IMG_20200406_093529.jpg
    IMG_20200406_093529.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20200406_093442.jpg
    IMG_20200406_093442.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20200406_093403.jpg
    IMG_20200406_093403.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 64
Hi, what sized tank?
Did you test for ammonia/nitrate/nitrite?

Do a 75% water change every day for two weeks.

It doesn't look like fin rot, but looks more like someone is biting them. However, they have excess mucous on their tails and that could be a minor infection or water quality issue.

Check your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

--------------
As Juicebox suggested, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or two.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Wipe the inside of the glass with a clean fish sponge.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.
Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks.
If you do water changes, add salt to the buckets of new water before adding it to the tank so the salinity (salt level) remains constant.

--------------
Monitor the fish and if there's no improvement after a couple of days of water changes and salt, post more pictures.

Hi, what sized tank?
Did you test for ammonia/nitrate/nitrite?

Do a 75% water change every day for two weeks.
The tank is 29 gal and the water parameters are and have been perfect. The tetras are fine (just a little nippy), but now one of the peppered corys came down with a cotton ball on the tip of his pectoral fin. Been treating with pimafix and melafix though I read now that they're iffy with corys. It's day 7 so I'll get some of that stuff outta there, especially since it didn't really work. The cotton ball seemed to go away at first but is quite resistant and growing again. I suspect it was an injury from being netted. I read conflicting things about using aquarium salt with corys... Not sure what to try next. I appreciate the help!

Pics of the cory

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200417-104629.jpg
    Screenshot_20200417-104629.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20200417-104848.png
    Screenshot_20200417-104848.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20200417-104848.png
    Screenshot_20200417-104848.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
Is there anything else in the tank besides those you mention. Glowlights are usually aggressive to each other and its not the corys or BN.

+3 for regular large water changes.

Is there anything else in the tank besides those you mention. Glowlights are usually aggressive to each other and its not the corys or BN.

+3 for regular large water changes.
Yeah, it's definitely the Glowlights nipping at each other. There's a dwarf Gourami in there, but I haven't seen any issues there. The one Glow light with the most damage to the tail is a male and dates back to when I only had five, four of which were males. That situation has been rectifying, lol. Now I only see the one cory with the pectoral fin problem. I'd like to treat the whole tank because they've been in there together for a while and I don't wanna chase it from fish to fish. So there's the Gourami, the glowlights, bristlenose pleco and the corys. What's safe for everyone? Can I do salt? And will it fix it? Thanks, btw

Yeah, it's definitely the Glowlights nipping at each other.
Whoops typo from me. I meant to say NOT aggressive to each other. I have been keeping these for around 15 years and never seen an issue. Either something else is causing the problem - or causing the fish stress to cause this behaviour.

I haven't actually seen them bite, they just chase each other quite a bit and shoal only loosely. I figured it's a mating thing? There's lots of hiding places, no aggression from anyone towards them... Water is perfect. But, have you used salt with corys before?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back