tail damage vs. tail rot

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

noelberg

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My betta is in a community tank and I won't be able to set up a quarantine or any special conditions for him for at least a week. Monday I saw that his tail had a tear, but it wasn't fin rot - just a clean rip down the middle. I've been adding melafix for the past 2 days. Is this a good idea since the other fish don't have any problems and since it's not rotting? Or does this help to heal? I don't want to over-treat. Tank conditions are good, and the water was just changed (20%) Monday.

Melafix will not harm any of the other fish, but like you said, just don't overdue it. All fish really need for good healing of damaged fins (not from disease) is clean water.

Hi noelberg :)

Yes, all a ripped tail needs to heal is clean water. :nod:

I think a more important issue, at this point, is what caused it to rip. Is there a fin nipper in the tank? Or, could there be rough surface or decoration that he could have snagged it on?

Since this problem just developed, finding the cause now might save you a lot of trouble as time goes by. :D

I have a feeling it got ripped on the driftwood. He really likes swimming around it unfortunately. Seems like the other fish only take nips when the fins are damaged. I also think that the betta had a bit of a reaction to the melafix this past time - there was a weird spot on his body that looked like it could be melafix "burn" :( He's still eating like a pig - so that's good.

Thanks for the advice. Will do a water change 1st thing tomorrow whether the tank needs it or not.

Hi noelberg :)

I think your fish has a bacterial infection. The spot, which might appear to be a fungus or a raw looking spot, and the damaged tail are both symptoms of this.

Bacteria that cause this condition are always present in a tank, but only affect the fish when their immune system is weakened by one or more of the following conditions: overcrowding, high nitrites, overfeeding, rapid temperature increase, infrequent water changes, or low oxygen content in the water. If any of these conditions might exist, do not delay treatment.

To treat it, first do a big water change and thoroughly clean the gravel at the bottom. Add an airstone, if possible, to increase oxygen content in the water and gradually lower the temperature to no higher than 75 degrees. These things will slow the growth of the bacteria.

My first choice of medication is the antibiotic Kanamycin. This is sold as Kanacyn by Aquatronics, or KanaPlex by Seachem. If this is not available, use both Maracyn and Maracyn2 together. This will treat both the Columnaris and Aeromonas bacteria, either or both of which might be infecting your fish.

It is most important to keep your water clean and aerated to prevent and cure this condition. Stable temperature and slow increases or decreases are also important in maintaining good fish health.

Please let me know what you decide to do and how things work out.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back