T5 Lighting - Which Bulbs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

scottca

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi All,

put this in the general discussion but then realised its probably better suited here too?

I need to replace my 2 T5's in my tank as both are now pretty old.

Ive previously used glo tubes but cant remember which 2 I had, I believe one was a power glo and other was possibly a life glo.

As im now replacing them im wondering what combination would be best for my planted tank, running Co2 which im starting up again. If I recall when I got the tank the lights that I had made the water look pretty red. I personally prefer a brighter cleaner look but understand thats maybe not what the plants would prefer! ( I think thats whay I originally changed one bulb for a power glo)

so - what 2 bulbs would give a brighter looking aquarium whilst still benefiting the plants? I really dont want a red hue coming over the tank and just want it to look clear and crisp

My reflectors are also in need of a change, they are starting to crack - other than the default fluval ones - what reflectors can I fit a fluval vicenza 180 ?

Kind Regards

Craig

Thanks, is the 6500K the ones that will give me a natural light as opposed to give a strange hue? are those bulbs going to be just as good as the Life-Glo's (and just as bright?)

Nigel do you think temps matter?
Thanks, is the 6500K the ones that will give me a natural light as opposed to give a strange hue? are those bulbs going to be just as good as the Life-Glo's (and just as bright?)

I don't think the temps matter in so much as "You need this" - I'm sure somebody was growing under 10,000 at one point. 6500K is generally what we go for when choosing normal priced bulbs as it's closer to daylight - i.e not paying £20 because it says plant on it.

Even then tho, dif bulbs give dif results. A small selection can be seen here - And if anybody has the link, some guy did the same with loads of dif bulbs too.

EDIT: Colour results as opposed to growth....check the link.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back