Syringe

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bruce Leyland-Jones

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Back in the day, my local chemist kept me supplied with syringes. These were useful for measuring, precisely and consistently, small volumes of water, for testing and dosing.
Sadly, my Chemist retired and so I'm now using Thinternet.
I'm content.
Syringes.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Good idea, I do this too but I've pinched the syringes that came with the kids medicines

Don't you ever need meds for yourself, Bruce? The same place should sell syringes.
I've bought 1 ml syringes from my local chemist, though you do have to ask for babies' medicine dosing syringes unless you want the third degree about why you want them. This size is very useful for measuring tiny amounts.

Don't you ever need meds for yourself, Bruce? The same place should sell syringes.
I've bought 1 ml syringes from my local chemist, though you do have to ask for babies' medicine dosing syringes unless you want the third degree about why you want them. This size is very useful for measuring tiny amounts.
With Type 1 diabetes, I suppose I could pay more at my local pharmacy, just as I could ask for babies' medicine dosing syringes and put up with possible 'third degrees'...
Or I could just go on-line to Amazon and buy ten for £4.21.

I only buy syringes when the print rubs off so I don't need to buy them regularly. Then it's just easier to pop down to the chemist and buy one. Just one not a pack of 10 ;)

I think I got packs of two at amazon; I assume there's a cottage child slave labour place in china that repackages packs of 10.

I also do a lot of guessing using bottle caps, even if I firstly calibrate that with a syringe so I know how not to overdose.... I started that method when my bottle of flourish and prime got too low for the syringe to reach and I was too lazy to pour a little in the cap then use the syringe....

🤷🏻‍♀️I just get pipette from lfs..25-50 cents ..long or short …also comes with sese test kits

I only buy syringes when the print rubs off so I don't need to buy them regularly. Then it's just easier to pop down to the chemist and buy one. Just one not a pack of 10 ;)
Using just the one opens up the possibility of cross-contamination. I suppose my training encourages me to use one syringe per 'medication', so I use one for ammonia testing, one for nitrite testing, etc.. One gets used for water conditioner and, should the need ever arise, I have separate ones for different medicines, should I ever get the need.

Me too..I don’t cross contaminate so I go through quite a bit if I use..mostly for feeding and small clean up jobs for fry. For testing I just use a glass cyclinder and measure out from there to test tube.

I throw out a lot…cross contamination is a big thing for me. I practice the same way in clinical settings 🤷🏻‍♀️
If I can’t bleach it and scrub it inside out it’s a goner.

I rarely use a syringe as I rarely need to dose anything that accurately. I think the last time I used my 1 ml syringe is to measure ammonia for a fishless cycle years ago. That's graduated in 0.01 ml increments.

I do have a pack of 2 ml pipettes, graduated in 0.25 ml increments, which I use for liquid plant fertiliser. My water conditioner is dosed by drops from a dropper in the lid.
Apart from those two, I don't add anything else to either of my tanks.

I find them handy for filling test tubes when doing tests, though I rarely do them anymore

I use one weekly to dose Prime when doing WC's, though

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back