Syphon recommendations?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ella777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Everyone is saying I need to give my tank a water change, but I have no idea what syphon to use.
The main thing is putting fresh water back in, my tank is 128cm off the floor, and far away from any tap. Using a jug for 200l is definitely a full body work out, and is very time consuming.

I think the best way to do it is fill up a bucket, bring it to the tank and use a syphon to add the water.
I haven't found one long enough or one with a good enough suction.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Everyone is saying I need to give my tank a water change, but I have no idea what syphon to use.
The main thing is putting fresh water back in, my tank is 128cm off the floor, and far away from any tap. Using a jug for 200l is definitely a full body work out, and is very time consuming.

I think the best way to do it is fill up a bucket, bring it to the tank and use a syphon to add the water.
I haven't found one long enough or one with a good enough suction.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Python water changer system. Really simple. Don't even need a bucket. It's a bit expensive but it works very well. I want to get one soon... All I have now is just a simple qnd average python siphon. It's not the advanced system lol

Only issue I see with the Python (I haven't really researched it much) is I don't have a "standard" faucet near me. The closest two are the kitchen and downstairs bathroom and neither are your standard faucet. Stinks because I really want to use that style syphon.

Only issue I see with the Python (I haven't really researched it much) is I don't have a "standard" faucet near me. The closest two are the kitchen and downstairs bathroom and neither are your standard faucet. Stinks because I really want to use that style syphon.
You can also attach it to a hose if you are comfortable with bringing the hose into your house. (I do it a lot)

I'm not sure if this will help but I use rain barrels (not rainwater but tap water) to season my replacement water and then do water exchanges from them. But I use a siphon system from the rain barrel for my Archerfish tank. I have found over the years the Archerfish is sensitive to water changes, so I add replacement water very slowly via siphon over a period of hours. The Python system is fantastic for all but the most sensitive fishes. Just remember to add water conditioner and make sure your refill water is temperature controlled.

The Python seems great, but my tank is in my room, the only tap near me is the bath. I would need a very long hose, it seems very confusing trying to fix the hose to the faucet.

My tank is also 200L, but it sits on a sturdy table which makes water change easy.

I use Fluval Gravel VAC to remove water and a 10L bucket to add water to the tank. The attached photo shows what I use, and the bucket is solely used for the aquarium - not for mixing fertiliser for gardening or any other purposes as that could spell trouble for the fish.

If only you have a few fish, a 10-15% change a week should be enough. This means 3 or 4 buckets of water which is quite manageable. A small change of water also means that I don’t need to worry about matching the water temperature.

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 34
The Python seems great, but my tank is in my room, the only tap near me is the bath. I would need a very long hose, it seems very confusing trying to fix the hose to the faucet.
The Python comes in 25, 50, and 100 foot lengths.

If your bath sink has a removable aerator, it would work just fine.

You can also attach it to a hose if you are comfortable with bringing the hose into your house. (I do it a lot)
Now that's an idea actually...I have a hose not too far outside my house I could pull up for the fill up...hard to control water temp though when refilling

The Python comes in 25, 50, and 100 foot lengths.

If your bath sink has a removable aerator, it would work just fine.
I'll have to check. I know the kitchen one doesn't as it is one of those that pull away and can be used like a sprayer. The fancy bathroom one may have something I can unscrew, I'll have to look

I use a 20ltr plastic jerry can, fill it up in the shower (shower head can be taken down and i just put a funnel in to get the water into the can.) Screw the cap back on and take it through the house to the fish tank, no mess. It also came with a pour spout so i put that on when pouring it back in and none spills out. I found a can that has caps on both sides of the top so no worry about air trying to get back into the can when pouring. Can fill it up depending on your strength and its also good for knowing how much stuff i need to put in to make the tap water safe.

Also filling from the shower means i can get the water temp right so the right temp is going back in instead of dropping the tank temp. If you had a short hose that could attach to the kitchen tap or something you could also use that.

1670545921727.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back