Synodontis Petricola not eating

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jeidafei

Reaction score
I've had three Synodontis Petricola (two black, and one pink) in a small community tank along with Platy fry and Cardinal Neon Tetras for about three months now. They get along fine and the catfish isn't scared of the aggressive (when eating) Platies.

At first, the gravel in my tank is some sort of black charcoal pellets. I've been feeding the fish Tetraplankton pellets and sinking catfish pellets, and the Petricola would swim out during feedings and root vigorously in the gravel for the fallen food. All is fine.

A few weeks ago though, I changed the gravel to white, fine Amazon River sand, because I read that coarse gravel isn't good for catfish barbels. I put the fish back in. They adapted to the new setting, and they all seem healthy and active.

Here's the thing, the Petricola would come out and swim about every now and then, exploring the tank and swimming up and down the glass, exploring the tank-heater (I don't know why they do that all the time; it used to be covered in hairy algae, but I've scrubbed it off. Maybe they're intrigued by the complex structure?).

But they're paying very little, if any, attention to the food. I've tried everything. I fed them when they come out. I fed them when they're hiding. I fed them in the morning with curtains closed so the sunlight doesn't scare them. I fed them in the afternoon when they're out exploring. I drop food for them at night after lights out.

Them blebers either not come out of their caves at all, or just swim about all over the place like three dorks while the greedy Platies gobble up all those high-protein catfish pellets. I fed them frozen bloodworm cubes and Corydoras algae wafers. They ignored everything, even Tetraplankton, their old favorite.

I've read that Petricola may not eat for weeks while they get used to new surroundings, but these three are already out and about. Why aren't they eating as much as they used to? With the black-gravel, they would root around as long as I keep feeding them. With this new set-up, I'd be lucky if they take four or five tiny pellets and wander off to pole-dance on the tank-heater again.

Whenever they come out and explore (like, RIGHT NOW), I don't know if I should feed them because I risk overfeeding the Platies instead. My brother told me not to worry as "They won't be stupid enough to starve themselves to death", but who knows?

Any advice on this strange behavior would be appreciated!

How long has the tank been set up for?
What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH of the water.
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

-----------------
Synodontis petricola come from hard alkaline water (GH above 250ppm and pH above 7.6). If they are in soft acid water they won't be as happy.

-----------------
The fish are probably stressed by the white sand. Bottom welling fishes prefer a darker substrate so they blend in better with it.

If you add some floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta), it will make them feel more comfortable and more likely to feed.

----------------
The fish exploring the same areas each time they come out and play is due to tank size and boredom. Bigger tanks give them more room to move around and in the wild they might swim hundreds of meters every night looking for food.

If you have a few ornaments in the tank that they don't live in, you can move the ornament around each week to break up the tank and bit and give them different areas to explore. You can do the same with plants growing in pots, move them around to vary the habitat a bit.

----------------
If you post some clear pictures of them we can check them for diseases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back